Does your rMBP run cool enough to use on your lap without getting warm legs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Aug 27, 2013.

?

Does your rMBP run cool enough to use on your lap without getting warm legs?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2013.
  1. Yes 2.3ghz

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Yes 2.4ghz

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Yes 2.5ghz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes 2.6ghz

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Yes 2.7ghz

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. No 2.3ghz

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. No 2.4ghz

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. No 2.5ghz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No 2.6ghz

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. No 2.7ghz

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. whitedragon101, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Does your rMBP run cool enough to use on your lap for extended periods without getting warm legs?

edit
    Everybody, for the poll we are talking web browsing, watching vids etc. Not encoding a video or playing a 3D game etc

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its going to get warm, but how warm it gets depends on what you're doing.

Using a CPU intensive task means it may get too hot for your lap, surfing the web, it should be ok.

Also consider a lap desk, they will protect your legs from the warmth and also elevate the laptop to be a bit easier to use.

3. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. editing the question. Thanks

4. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Of course it gets hot. It wasn't designed to use it on your lap. It's not a laptop, it's a notebook.

#JustAvoidHoldingItThatWay

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Forcing it to use the integrated graphics helps keep the temperature and fan noise down.

I saw that it was running warm and loud running XBMC on discrete graphics. Since I knew they weren’t needed, I turn them off with gfxCardStatus.

Based on my experience with the 2013 MBA, I expect the Haswell models will run cool enough to use on the lap. For the MBA you can even run it with bare legs.

6. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think notebook is just the marketing jargon they invented for "we just can't get these things to run cool yet, please don't blame us when you burn your lap."

People want to be able to use these things on their laps, its just a question of when the heat produced and cooling provided allow this to happen.

7. Steelseries macrumors member

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Rather then a marketing term, its a realization that these modern CPUs run hot and there's little they can do to cool them in such a small enclosure.

I use mine on my lap, but it does get warm - I avoid using it when I'm wearing shorts, I need pants to help insulate my legs. I also mentioned the lap desk as a solution and I found that works best.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's highly variable what people consider "cool," I know people tat think a 15" MBP isn't portable, and people that think they're computer being at 90 will melt it. That said I've never had a problem using my computer on my lap for normal use.

10. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep I use a zalman 3000 cooler and my 17" early 2011 MBP lives on it. There is no way I could use it on my lap without it. However I used someones 2.3ghz rMBP the other day and for web browsing and videos it was fine on my lap for 10mins or so. (It was in a speck case though not sure if that gave it the edge). Was interested to hear the general feeling on this.

11. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Normally there's no problem. If I stream HD video for a while then the bottom can get uncomfortably warm.

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's an important edit.

With the edit, yes my rMBP is cool enough for comfy lap usage.

But if I start doing heavy-duty stuff for a while (in my case, virtual machines) and it's a warm day, I'll want to use a laptop pad or spin up the fans using SMCFanControl.