Does your screen ever not turn on when receiving a call?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, May 25, 2009.

1. essential macrumors regular

Basically, ever since I got my iPhone 3G (purchased it on launch day, but didn’t get it till about 3 weeks later from AT&T), sometimes when I receive a phone call, my screen does not turn on. Basically, I have no way of answering the call unless I can find my headset real quick, because the mic/clickable button on the headphones will answer the call. Usually I just have to wait for the call to be missed, then I can get the screen on, find out who it was and call them back.

The first time I took it to a genius a couple weeks after I got it, they said nothing was showing up in their diagnostics check, so just restore it and everything should be fine. I restored the phone, but it kept happening randomly (maybe once or twice a month), so recently I went back to a genius because since warranty is coming up, and I kind of wanted a resolution. They ran diagnostics again and everything came up clean, they hard reset it and told me to see if that fixes the issue, which it didn’t.

Also, sometimes the home button will not turn on my screen, and if I click the top on/off button when this happens, you hear the click noise with no effect to the screen, then the home button will turn on the screen, almost as if they OS thought the screen was on the whole time.

Basically it seems like there is a random communication problem between my phone OS and my screen, but some how this problem doesn’t show up in the genius diagnostics check, so they basically do nothing to help me, and in their own way make me feel like I am making up the problem.

Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks.

2. Ruckus12 macrumors member

i got the same prob, calls would come in and the phone would ring or vibrate but nothing on screen, so cant answer.. sometimes id press the power button on top to check time, it seems like it lags and i click it again and it clicks like the screen was on the whole time so it locks again..

its hard cuz u cant replicated it and it happens once in awhile... so i dunno

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I had the same issue with before. Your proximity sensor could be defective. I would get it replaced at the Apple Store.

4. essential thread starter macrumors regular

I tried, I’ve gone for the problem three times, and all the geniuses said was, "nothing shows up on our diagnostics check" so I think unless they see something show up on that check they won't give me a new phone. The last guy I saw treated me like I was making up the problem.

Can you just walk in and say I want a new phone, even if nothing shows up on their diagnostic check? Will they do that, or do they need a provable problem first? As Ruckus said, this is hard to replicate, and if nothing shows up on their diagnostics, they'd have to just be taking my word on it.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, you just need to be a little more aggressive. You need to tell them that it makes it impossible to use the basic functionality of the iPhone... THE PHONE!!

If they still refuse to replace it, call AppleCare... Explain the problem to them, they always seem MUCH more understanding than Apple Genius'. They will put a note on your reference number saying your iPhone is to be replaced no questions asked.

6. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I have had the same on two consecutive phones (the first phone was replaced due to too many lock-ups requiring a hard reset and not due to the screen not turning on). My incidence is probably also 1-2 times a month.

If you had done several restores of the phone due to this problem this might have assisted you in getting a replacement. I have done about 5 restores in some 6 months with this phone and I believe this fact may assist me if I feel compelled to try and get a replacement. At the moment the problem is manageable and I would hate to end up with a phone with light leakage or a slew of dead pixels (none of which my current phone suffers from). I like the phone but great QC is not one of its hallmarks.