Does your Smart keyboard still have the problem of dropping connection?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by partsofspeech, Aug 18, 2018.

?

Does your Smart Keyborad still have the problem of dropping connection?

1. Yes

48.0%
  2. No

52.0%
  1. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

The problem of random disnnection has been resolved after the latest iOS update for a number of Smart Keyboards. Unfortunately the problem persists for me no matter what solutions I have tried. At this stage, I like to know how many people have the same issue.

2. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I have both sizes of the 2nd generation iPad Pro and both SmartKeyboards are rock solid - I did have this issue with the original iPad Pro and the original keyboard, but I believe that was a hardware failure of that first batch of keyboards. Apple replaced it free of charge.

3. Capeto macrumors regular

Capeto

I have the Smart Keyboard for my 10.5” iPad Pro. I had the problem with the keyboard disconnecting and requiring a reboot before being detected. I took it to the Apple Store, they exchanged it for a new keyboard, and it still had the same problem. After the iOS update that allegedly fixed it, I still get intermittent disconnections although less frequently, and at least it’s fixed more easily now by taking the case off the iPad and putting it back - no reboot required.

But the problem is still there.

4. Sodium Chloride macrumors regular

I returned mine 10 months ago for the same problem. Tried 3 different units, same problem.

5. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

I got my original keyboard in June of last year had issues with it and was able to exchange it. Just recently I started having issues with my current one. I wonder If I should get refund or exchange it for another one. I tried the logteich slim combo and had no issues with it. This is really frustrating.

6. partsofspeech, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

partsofspeech thread starter macrumors regular

partsofspeech

They would not give me a refund when I requested it. I chose to have a replacement. It still has had the same problem. You should go back and ask for a replacement. It will not solve your problem but nevertheless will put pressure on Apple. Apple does not make any explanation for this problem — pretending that all is well.

Any suggestion for what we as consumers of the Smart Keyboard could and should do?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2018 ---
    A webpage has done an excellent job of follwoing the tail of this problem closely:

[Updated Continuously] iPad Pro Smart Keyboard issues are still troubling users
    http://piunikaweb.com/2018/02/13/ipad-pro-smart-keyboard-issues-are-still-troubling-users/

More complaints scatter over here and there. This is only one of them:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7700267
    --- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2018 ---
    A temporary solution I am using is reset Network in the iOS Setting.

7. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

I also requested a refund but they refused. I had to inform the “genius” that the keyboards are covered under a 3 year warranty. They didn’t have a replacement on hand so they ordered for me. When I went to pick it up I was told I had to pay over $200 for the warranty replacement. I had to argue with the employee and finally she said I didn’t have to pay. Worst service ever for me. I hate going to an apple store and dealing with a “genius”. The employees don’t have any knowledge of products, services or policies. Apple forgets very easily who helped them make the trillion dollars.

8. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Where is info that it's a 3 year warranty please? Is this in US only? I'm in UK and thinking of getting a 10.5" one.

Knowing of the problems I'd feel better knowing I have 3 years warranty from Apple, as by then I'd probably sell my 10.5" anyway.

Thanks

9. partsofspeech thread starter macrumors regular

partsofspeech

Apple has all the signs that Ford Motor showed decades ago when its management only cared for short term profit.

10. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

I doubt its only for US. I live in Canada and it applied to me. Here’s the link:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/08/apple-initiates-ipad-smart-keyboard-service-policy/

11. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Thanks for that's, wonder if there is any official Apple documents or will that be internal only, we just have to trust MR have got or seen this internal document?

What about if the keyboard was a present/gift and so don't have receipt or anything?

Thanks

12. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Ipadlover29

I was able to just show and mention to the apple employee the web page I linked. As long as they can verify the serial number it should be ok and covered under warranty. The serial number is printed on the keyboard and the box of the keyboard if you don’t have the receipt.

13. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Well rather than buying 2nd hand I've ordered new from Apple so hoping that helps in any warranty issues that may arise.

14. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Not since my iPad keyboard was replaced a couple months ago.

15. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Do you think they've now found the problem either with the hardware, or software and sorted it all now?

Seems to be less about and maybe even was with people who've had the keyboard the longest, so bad batch or something wonder?

16. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I think it was hardware. Starts failing more over time. I’m no expert.

17. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Finally got disgusted with the Accessory Not Supported message. My keyboard is a January 2016 one, for the original iPad Pro. Contacted Apple via chat and have an appointment at Best Buy(!) tomorrow--don't want to drive to the Apple Store in Tampa. I didn't have my serial number but I had all the Apple reference numbers on my PayPal receipt. Pray for me. :)

18. artfossil, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Went to Best Buy today for a replacement Smart Keyboard, which I'll receive in 7-10 days. Quick and painless.

ETA: Got my replacement keyboard in four days. Attached it and . . . it works!

19. partsofspeech thread starter macrumors regular

partsofspeech

I thought iOS 12.1 would make the problem of random disconnection go away completely; however, it has not. My Smart Keyboard would still lose connection occasionally, when I change to a different Wi-Fi router. I am sure the all physical components of the keyboard are intact, and the magnetic contact on the iPad is clean. So the problem is 100% with the iOS.

The connection problem did not appear in iOS 10. It came for the first time after my iPad Pro was updated with iOS 11. :-( Sigh!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Congradulation! I am glad at least someone got his keyboard working properly.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Hardware is indeed problematic, but it is only one of the causes. Check the thin wire buried within the long ‘groove’ for the contact between the iPad and the keyboard. That wire can get broken easily after times of attachment and disattachment.

However, both iOS 11 and iOs 12 have not completely cleared some bug with Wi-Fi that has caused the disconnection problem. So the problem is caused by either hardware failure or software bug, or both at the same time.