Does your volume button make noise on iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filmfanatic24, Jul 2, 2009.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

When moving my phone around or shaking it I noticed that the volume button (for lack of a better term) on the left of the phone makes a clicking type noise. I don't remember this happening on the iPhone 3G. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just my phone and do I need to go to Apple and ask for a replacement?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its the autofocus component of the camera. It sounds like volume thingy, but its the autofocus. Its a moving part in the phone. Mine does the same thing.

3. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is odd though is that the volume button seems loose (as direct side by side comparing it to the 3G) and when I hold the volume button down and then shake the phone I don't hear the noise...

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hmm. When I hold down my volume switch and do the same as you did, I hear the same thing I heard without holding it. So you hear nothing at all when you hold the volume switch down? Are you in a quiet area?

I ask, because whether I hold the volumer rocker down or let it loose and shake the iPhone, I hear a dull rattling, which Ive been told is the autofocus component. If you're holding the volume rocker and hear nothing at all, im worried about my phone. :p

6. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I wouldn't say I hear nothing at all, but it makes the more prevalent noise go away. I do hear a much duller, quieter sound that I probably would never hear unless I was really listening.

I think that the volume button is just loose or something. Guess I'll head to the Apple Store. Ugh, but that means I'm going to loose my invisibleShield that I have on this phone.

7. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a little frustrated. Had an original iPhone, iPhone 3G, my wife has a 3G, my boss, my mom, and my sister. Got my 3GS last week and noticed that the volume button seemed loose and made a noise when the phone was shaken. No other iPhone I have EVER had did this. I compared it to my bosses 3GS to make sure it wasn't just the way the 3GS' were made. His didn't have the problem.

Made a Genius appointment to get the phone exchanged. No appointments for 3 days. Fine, I waited.

Went in today and was told that this was normal under the standards Apple has for the phone. "Some buttons are more loose than others." That can't be right. I don't know what to do now. I have a case number but the Genius told me that it really did me no good. I would have assumed I could at least exchange because I'm under 14 days, not so much.

Just needed to vent a little. If anyone has had this problem and had any luck resolving it I would appreciate hearing from you.