Does your watch have a rough life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iMas70, Nov 10, 2015.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Does your watch have an easy life where it probably won't be damaged or does it have a rough life where it will most likely be damaged? I think some rough environments include construction, an auto mechanic, rock climbing ect... A lot of people might not wear their watch if there is a chance it will be damaged. Others will use it no matter what.

2. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Don't even wear a armlace while climbing. Not to mention a watch. No.

For light work I have my watch on, even for some work on or around the house... But not while climbing.

3. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I wear my Apple Watch SS with Link at work (construction/maintenance) but look after it. If I think a job will damage my watch I take it off for however long it takes me for the job, sometimes up to 20min.

I'm well aware you can change bands easily but it doesn't solve the problem of the case getting scratched. I don't like cases or screen protectors so prefer to just look after it. I get to enjoy my watch all day and night with just a little extra care.

I do wish apple will eventually allow for 2 watches to sync with the iPhone without unpair/pairing. If they allowed easy swapping I would buy the Apple Watch Hermes instantly.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many of those people don't wear watches, never mind the apple watch, not because they'll be rough on it, but rather for safety.

5. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

My watch doesn't have a rough life. But it is not pampered either. No case, no screen protector, no AC+ and I wear it everyday everywhere. Sure, if I am going to reach into a machine or something I'll take it off just so my arm or hand doesn't get ripped off when the band catches on something. But I bought it to be a daily wearable and that is how I treat it. BTW, looks almost as good as the day it was released :)

6. friedmud macrumors 65816

I'm pretty rough on mine. It's a SS and it looks all beat to hell... but I love it that way.

I'm basically just planning on turning it into a "brushed" SS Watch ;-)

7. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I use mine doing yard work and at the gym. I'm SS, so use a sports band for those activities rather than the classic buckle which I only use when I'm going out for dinner or in an office setting. Part of the reason I got the SS was that its durable and if it gets scratched up I can buff it out to look like new again.

8. Applenoob34 macrumors regular

If I didn't have a case on mine, it would be beat up. Between running, biking, weight training, and police work, the watch gets its fair share of sweat and dings. My rugged armor case is pretty scratched up, but the watch looks great underneath. The only wear my watch shows is on the underbelly where the lettering has all but worn off. That started happening almost immediately though.

Attached Files:

9. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

is the lettering getting rubbed off because that's where your case contacts it?

10. Applenoob34 macrumors regular

No. It was rubbing off before I got the case. I think there were a lot of other threads pertaining to this lettering coming off. I could be wrong though.

11. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

You are correct - I've seen a number of threads on this. The consensus seems to be a manufacturing defect and Apple has been replacing them.

12. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I put the Luvvit clear plastic case on mine just to be safe(er). I found it on Amazon for $11 (vs. $30 on Luvvit's site) and figured what the heck. It detracts from the watch's aesthetic look, but IMHO it wasn't that great to begin with. I also put on the teeny tiny screen protector that came with the case but removed it immediately as it was noticeable and didn't completely cover the screen.

13. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I work on a farm taking care of and training competition horses. I get sweaty, wet, bumped, knocked and have been run into trees and slammed on the ground. My Apple SS watch leads a rough life but still looks and works great. No protective gear on the watch, plenty on myself.

There are many fine scratches on the ss, none on the screen and the sport bands wash up very clean.

14. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm the same and I work in offices and classrooms! The only scratch to the face on mine was caused by a colleague's diamond ring in a team building game.

15. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I work as an auto tech and keep a poetic duo snap on cover on my sgs and even get used oils and solvents on the apple black sport band and it's been great. Had it 2 months now and looks new.

I remove it only when cramming my left wrist between very tight spots like scraping between the front of an engine and a fender and the such.