Does youtube/flash videos drain the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacChinoNyc, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

Yesterday the apple sales guy mentioned flash puts a dent in battery life but he made it seem like an hour only. What is everyones experience with watching alot of youtube/flash videos, how taxing is it on the machine? In my case I have the 13" i5/4GB/256

2. robvas macrumors 68020

It will run the battery down much faster than not watching them. HTML5 video is better if supported.

3. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

So mac users avoid using youtube directly but rather an html5 version? I'm sure there are many youtube watchers here.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Playing video will of course drain the battery quicker than if you were writing a document or browsing the web for example.

Flash has got better but any form of video playback will cause the battery to take a hit because you are asking the computer to work harder.

I find playback in Safari to use less resources than in Chrome. With my older MBA, Flash in Chrome would cause the fans to spin up and the machine could get very hot. Under Safari it seemed more power efficient.

5. iterva macrumors regular

Cant say exactly how much the flash affects battery life, more than it does have a negative impact on battery life..
    Im using youtube.com/html5 in Safari and also a flash blocker extension.. Granted not all videos on YT work with the html5, but most recent ones do.. :p

6. robvas macrumors 68020

I haven't installed Flash, I just use Chrome when I need to do something with Flash.