Doesn't count as an Apple product, but I have an original 486 chip :-)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by spaceballl, May 29, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I dunno why, but I find it to be sorta special. Like, this chip was the precursor to the Pentium, the chip that really set the personal computer explosion on fire.

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

In a moment of incredible stupidity I pushed my finger on one of those as I turned the computer on 'just to see' how hot it got.

The answer is;
    1) it gets very very hot
    2) faster than you can move your finger away.

AppleMatt

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Funny, I performed that exact same experiment once. I can corroborate your results. A 6502 (actually in some early Apple products) gets lazily warm over time. How bad could a '486 be, I thought...

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Pretty much every Intel chip ever made before the Pentium M got ridiculously hot.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I would not like to see a Pentium 4 in a first generation MacBook Pro case. Then the fry an egg on the bottom of the MacBook would be true.

6. ddrmaxgt37 macrumors newbie

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I remember working with an old-school mainframe programmer that "held out" buying his first PC until the first Pentium (P5 @ 60MHz) systems hit the market in 1993. He actually believed by "investing" in a P5 system he'd have a system that he wouldn't have to replace for at least another 10 or 15 years. :p

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have a few nostalgic components myself, including a 486DX-33 chip. It probably still works, but the motherboard it came with (in my dearly departed first PC, a Quantex) is long gone; the soldered-on CMOS battery finally cracked open and corroded the mobo.

I'm probably the only fool I know that paid near full price for a Pentium-83 Overdrive chip to upgrade the DX-33. Talk about too much buck and not enough bang! I could have upgraded to a DX4-100 for cheaper, but there was some game that I was wanting to run that required a chip that identified itself as a Pentium. It's now mounted in an old AST Advantage 575 that, last I knew, still runs. I haven't fired it up in a while; maybe I should.

ADDENDUM: ...Well, whaddaya know, the old AST still boots! Time for some oldskool DOOM! :D

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

LOL - made me chuckle - am having a crappy day and that has cheered me up no end :D

pac

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Good :) (about the cheering up, not the day)

AppleMatt