Doew Snow leopard upgrade reinstall applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anandds, Jan 11, 2010.

1. anandds macrumors newbie

May 8, 2009

I just upgraded my Leopard to Snowleopard. I notice some of my application settings have been lost. For example, my antivirus software settings have become default and the log files of the application indicate that there has been a new installation of the app.

Is this true that snowleopard upgrade actually tries to reinstall some of the apps? Does anyone know where I would find the log file of the whole snowleopard upgrade process?

2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    To have a look at the log, go to Finder > CMD+SHIFT+G (Go To Folder) > enter var/vm > go one folder up by CMD+UpArrow > open the folder called log > open the file install.log and maybe you can find something there.

I don't know about the "re-installing applications while updating to 10.6" part.
  3. nufanec macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    No. It can't reinstall 3rd party applications. It doesn't contain the installers for them so it would be impossible to do so.

It might reset/delete the Application Support data or preferences if they are incompatible.
  4. anandds thread starter macrumors newbie

May 8, 2009
    Never mind. The upgrade moved the original "/var/root/Library" to "/var/root/Library (from old Mac)" folder and hence all the application settings seemed to be lost. It had created a new /var/root/Library folder with nothing in it.

Thanks for your help