Dog urinated on ATI 5770

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bjar, Jan 30, 2017.

1. bjar macrumors member

Set my ATI 5770 on the floor and my dog decided he wanted to pee on it. I didn't notice until a few days later. It already looks a little corroded. Should I even attempt to clean it and put it back in my Mac Pro to test? What is the best way to clean it? I was planning on selling it but I guess that is not an option anymore. Thanks guys!

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I would not consider this salable any more, even if you clean it and test it, unless you provide full disclosure as to what happened.

I have in the past successfully cleaned a keyboard that had OJ spilled in it, and dried in it. I soaked the keyboard in water for a minute or less, rinsed, and blow-dried. (Those were tough times for me financially, or I would have just bought a new $10 keyboard).

However, a keyboard has little to no chance of damaging the computer it is connected to. I'm not so confident about a PCIe card. Personally I would toss it because I'd be worried about a short or something causing damage to the Mac Pro. The value of a used 5770 that has been peed upon is too low.

3. bjar thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I definitely don't plan on selling it anymore. I just don't like throwing stuff away if I can potentially salvage it and use it if my gtx 970 dies. I was planning on selling the 5770 and just ordering a gt120 if I had to. But now I am stuck with the 5770. Thanks for your response.

4. snicklesnackle macrumors member

snicklesnackle

Water's bad enough but urine is extremely corrosive, I'd be surprised if it's still working. Best thread title ever btw, sounds like an old homework excuse.

5. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

6. bjar thread starter macrumors member

I figured if I can't fix it it would be a good story to share. Just glad he didn't pee on the Mac Pro laying on the floor with the side cover off! I since since cleaned the room and nothing is on the floor anymore. And he won't pee on just the floor, needs to be something there to pee on.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    He's really my wife's dog so that's a no go. :p
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    Did the elderly couple in the story survive??? Dog pee is a rare occurrence in my house and he knows better, so not to worried about my house collapsing. Something to think about though.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

TMI on ATI .. a bit too graphic on video card mishap.

8. bjar thread starter macrumors member

I was trying to provide information in case someone seriously has a fix for this. Not trying to gross anyone out. I apologize.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Bjar, I apologize. I was playing with 3 letters to 3 letters (TMI,ATI) and Word to Word (graphic and video). I am sorry if I appeared to be literal in my comment and perhaps should have put an indicator it was humour.

10. bjar thread starter macrumors member

Ha. That went right over my head! Thanks for clearing that up, although I do feel like an idiot now that I didn't catch that.

11. justinkr macrumors member

My very first time installing gtx 750 ti graphic card on my mac pro. I shock my electronic and damage my logic board.because Im stupid enough to no turn off my Mac Power. But once I replace and rebuilt my mac pro I reuse the same graphic card and still work. Nothing happened to my graphic card.Im not sure about water issue but I would at least try before spend extra money.

12. bjar thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Yeah I'm not too worried but I want to figure out how to clean it up first. I think I have an old Dell somewhere I can test it in. Just in case.

13. justinkr macrumors member

Yeah just dry them like we always do to our phone when we drop into water.Hope it work for u.

14. bjar thread starter macrumors member

Well never mind. I took the fan off and was just gunna give it a good alcohol scrub and a couple transistors or whatever broke right off where it was corroding. It is now in the trash. Someone can still chime in if they know how to clean these things in case someone else has this problem.

15. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Electronics should never be put in the trash - too many toxic chemicals (even without urine).

If it has a circuit board - send it to eWaste.

16. bjar thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually taking it to my work for disposal. They will get rid of it properly. Still trash. Thanks for caring though.

17. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

It seems like your dog is an Apple hater, he'll fit right in at MR :p

18. bjar thread starter macrumors member

You may be right. He has chewed up 2 power brick cables for my MacBook Pro as well.