Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, so I had a memorable moment with my dog, Marley.

We were out walking and I was throwing the ball for her. She's on the leash most of the time, but when we're throwing the frisbee/ball/stick I just let her go - the leash dragging the ground behind her when she runs.

We're going back inside when she notices a bunch of geese down the hill by the lake and takes off. I yell for her to stop, but she's in chase mode - bleh. Geese, squirrels, deer, cats and anything that runs from her she'll chase - and this is important - if *she* thinks its safe. I've seen her listen to me before and stop chasing a cat into a street when she saw cars coming, but then later she'll run right out into a street because she knows there aren't any cars. Too smart and stubborn for her own good.

The lake is partially frozen, and she's been out on the ice before so its nothing new - however, geese are a lot lighter than her 50 lbs - so when she gets near the leading edge of the ice - about 150 ft from shore - the obvious thing happens - and no amount of yelling from me made any difference. Although I imagine everyone in the neighborhood heard me yelling :D

So now she's swimming in 32 degree water, with a collar and leash dangling from her neck, whining, trying to crawl back on the ice. I'm happy to now realize I handled it pretty well - didn't really think about what to do at the time, just did it. I ran to a neighbors to possibly get their row boat, but it didn't have oars and was too heavy, called both immediate neighbors to see if they were home (both were out - figures) and then ran up the hill to my garage where our canoe was parked for the winter. Got some oars, and set an all time record for the 200m canoe drag. Down the hill and running across a couple lawns to a neighbors dock a few doors down since they were the closest with open water, I threw the canoe in the water and put on a life vest. I paddled back around and over to where Marley was and at first she didn't want to come in the canoe, but then after another failed attempt at getting back on the ice, she swam over. I pulled her in and got soaked and cold at the same time and paddled back to shore.

Bleh - well, now she's officially a member of the Canine Polar Bears Club. And she's sleeping behind me in my office now - exhausted and clean (got a warm shower when I brought her back inside).

I need a beer....

D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
how scary. :( i'm glad everything is ok. i'd say you're definitely deserving of a "grace under fire" award, well done you!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Way to keep calm, Mr. Anderson. sounds like she was treading in icy water for several minutes. No doubt she's exhausted, and I imagine you are as well, now that the stress is past. Enjoy that beer.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I thought this was going to be one of those my dog crapped in his food dish kind of things, glad you got your dog and you both didnt become statistics.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Congratulations, Mr. Anderson. You saved a life, today! That calls for a Paws and Reflect Award. Here ya' go.

Attachments

• awardcpaws2.gif
    awardcpaws2.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 471

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iSaint said:
Wow, amazingly calm during this rescue. Got any pics of the scene? Glad she's ok! (and you)

took one - and one of her right now :D

this all happened about 1 hour ago :rolleyes:

D

Attachments

• ice2.jpg
    ice2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 202
  • marley2.jpg
    marley2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 142

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
How thoughtless of you not to take a movie of your own rescue. :rolleyes:

That's ONE AMAZING STORY, Mr. Anderson. Congrats on your adrenaline-fueled rescue!

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I'm just glad you were level-headed enough in that situation where you ran for the canoe rather than try to do something silly like slide on your belly across the ice like a penguin and try to pull her in from there. Way to go!!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Glad to hear all is well with the both of you. I imagine you didn't think much about it while it was happening, but once it was over were probably shaking a little bit, if nothing else from the adrenaline. Wow.

I guess it's also a good thing you weren't there with your son as well... talk about complicating circumstances. :eek:

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Oh my gosh, what a story! I am so happy to hear she is ok!! Maybe she will listen next time!! :rolleyes:

And I doubt I would have been so level headed....I can see myself jumping in out of PANIC. The only story I have of rescuing an animal and feeling that scared was when my parakeet flew off my shoulder up in some trees one time. I was tring to walk 2 feet inside my house while cleaning out her cage. I thought for sure she would stay on my shoulder right quick, but nope...she took off flying and it took every kid in the neighborhood and like 5 long hours to finally catch her and get her back to safety!! :)

I just did a bunch of screaming and crying but I was also like 10 years old! :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
emw said:
I guess it's also a good thing you weren't there with your son as well... talk about complicating circumstances. :eek:

Ha! That's for sure - he was napping, thankfully.

Q - come visit and I'll let you jump in first :p I got wet enough getting her out of the water into the canoe - and my fingers and hands were numb by the time I got inside....that was enough for me :D

D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
awesome story. glad you both are okay. dogs are a bit headstrong at times aren't they? is that an understatement or what? :)

have a beer, or two or three, and relax.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Yeesh - Did you have to walk across ice?

Stuupid dog! (No offense) It could have been a lot worse.

Nicely done, Mr Anderson! :cool:

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
The same thing happened with our dog, Marion, a few winters ago. The woman went out onto the ice on her belly (to distribute her weight -- them's the smarts that get you your doctorate) and reeled the dog back to ice and then land.

Marion was traumatized of course, but still stupid enough to do the same thing a few weeks later. So the woman went back out on the ice, on her belly, and dragged her back.

We never let her off leash near Cayuga Lake again!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
there was no way I was going to go out on the ice myself - i'm 190 lbs - no matter how its distributed, I'd break the ice and go swimming with the dog.

The canoe was the only real option.

D

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
NBC this morning is reporting on an Air Force vet who saved his bulldog from drowning with CPR. Anyone catch it? Must be a slow news day.

It's 5:18 am here, up all morning. I guess I'm bored. The hour jumps ahead an hour but in Pulaski county, Indiana, the time jumps 2 hours ahead. LOL.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
wow! great rescue! you were so much more calm than i would have been in the same situation. i'm sure there'd be a darwin award waiting for me since i would jump in after my dog as opposed to finding a boat (and another person to help, since my great dane weighs 120lbs and would probably be impossible for me to lift into a boat by myself). :eek:

AppleDuck

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Great rescue! I'm glad you and Marley are okay.:)

My dog also loves chasing stuff, including geese and ducks. But once they go into the water, he's had enough chasing! He hates getting wet and won't put a paw into a lake.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
Oh wow, awesome job on the rescue. Glad to hear she's okay. I can't believe how clam you were through the whole experience.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
cool story.

My dog chased a bear once and jumped on its back. Luckily the bear was either scared or wanted nothing to do with my dog and ran away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.