Dogs are funny

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Dec 13, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They can be so smart and so stupid at the same time.

I have a puppy (10 months old) and generally she's a good puppy but she misbehaves like any puppy would.

She's smart because she remembers stuff. Last night tore apart a seat cushion in the kitchen and I was extremely angry with her. I put her in the cage after yelling at her and that was that.

This morning I brought her out and put her in the kitchen (she's piddle pad trained), waiting for her to do her dirty little business. She knew I was angry and was stand offish until I told her I wasn't mad. She wasn't afraid, but she knew I was not pleased with her behavior and was subdued and quiet until she knew I wasn't going to yell at her.

Dogs are dumb because they keep doing the same thing over and over.

One of our cats does not like the dog and scratches her, yet the dog keeps antagonizes the cat,. The cat ALWAYS gets the better of the dog and I her yelping in pain, yet two seconds later she's back at the cat.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Young dogs are real pieces of work sometimes. It's hard not to laugh when they misbehave, really.

My youngest bro had an Australian blue heeler, a complete rascal when he was a pup.

He and his wife had two other dogs, shepherds that were mostly outside but were let in for companionship and food and so forth. These dogs were always told “In your place” when they were wanted to leave the kitchen and lie down in the next room.

Well of course “In your place” meant nothing to this pup at first, so to start training him, my bro and his wife would sit at the kitchen table with some coffee or food and then one of them would say those words and the other would immediately put the pup just outside the kitchen in the mudroom, then come back and sit down at the table. Then if the pup came back in the room, which of course it did, one of them would get up yet again, say “In your place” and put the pup back in the mudroom. Rinse, repeat...

Right so one day I was over there having coffee and then my bro and I were heading off to the Home Dep to get something I needed. His wife had left for work already so as we left their kitchen, the bro said “In your place,” put the pup in the mudroom, closed the three-foot-high gate between it and the kitchen, and we left.

Fast forward... two hours later, bro drives his truck back into the driveway and through the kitchen window we can see the damn pup, sitting on the kitchen table.

“In YOUR place,” I suggested.

The bro just laughed. “You can see what I’m up against here.”

We have no clue how that pup had managed to jump over that gate, which was still shut.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

What's funny is that I know plenty of adult humans who behave the same way.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

We have a 7 month old Golden Retriever. We just love her to death. The only thing she does consistently when we tell her to is to go into her crate.

5. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

lol Don't you love how puppies act? How about their razor claws and razor teeth! Idk about other breeds but I have Shiba Inu's they will try to out smart you. So I wouldn't call them dumb they are just puppies :)

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Challenging the pack leader is what they do a lot and now my shih tzu is the boss who I call "boss".

7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I love dogs, not a fan of cats....at all. I'd love to have a dog again but I travel way too much in this stage of my life to be able to have one. With how much I'm away from home I couldn't even have a snake, and they can go 2 weeks without eating.

I'd love to have a mastiff mix, pitbull mix, or any breed really with short hair.

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cats seem more intelligent, I'm not knocking dogs, there just seems to be a difference in their behavior.

Still a dog is steadfastly faithful. When I work from home, my little coconut follows me around the house. She knows when she's bad and I yell at her.

She's still a puppy and very playful - much to the chagrin of our cats :)