Dog's Sister died.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, May 19, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

So, we had two old dogs that we adopted 3 years ago. They were about 9 years old when we adopted them, and they are 12 now. We adopted them as sisters, they came from the same litter.

One of them recently died due to a tumor that was on her leg that just couldn't stop growing.

The sister that is still living is super depressed. She was usually joyful and playful. She hasn't come out of my parents room for two days, except for the one time when she went outside to go pee. But she usually wants me to stay outside with her and pet her in the grass. She didn't want that, after she did her business she went straight to the door slowly.

She just has been sleeping in my parents bedroom with her head between the mattress and the floor. She has even been having nightmares and been crying in her sleep. Whoever said animals cannot feel emotions is completely wrong.

I have been trying to give her attention but nothing is working. Any ideas? I haven't been able to get this off of my mind and my school work and sleep has been suffering.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it just takes some time. After a while the morning will be over and it will be back to normal so to speak. To your dog her pack is really messed up and she not sure how to deal with the void yet. She might be moving up in the pecking order so to speak and not sure how to be the alpha or is scared to be Alpha.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Like Rodimus says, it just takes time. She will eventually get back to normal, but it will be slow. Just give her some space.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I give examples from my dogs in the past when one of them died. It effect the other for a few days and they did not live in the same area. One was an inside the other was an outside dog. The one inside died and for a few days the outside one really did not eat or want to play fetch.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Shouldn't the dog's master/owner be the alpha? I was under the impression dogs count the whole family, including humans, as their pack, so out of them all, the owner should be the 'alpha dog'.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes. But better way of putting it is the dog position in the pecking order suddenly changed. Among the dogs itself there was one above the other and of those 2 the one that died was above the other.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yeah I understand. I agree :)

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Give it some time, it's a dog, it'll forget about it in a few days

Nothing to worry about

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thanks lee. Truly insightful. lol :D

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You've never had pets have you...:rolleyes:

I have a rescue and he hasn't forgotten the abuse he took from previous owners years ago, still cowers when he hears certain sounds like chains or dishes, and puts his head down if you raise your hand if only to grab something off a tall shelf...dogs never forget.

I agree with previous advice. Give her some time, make sure she eats SOMETHING over the days, but it may take a week or two until she's back to something akin to normalcy. They treat death very much like you do, just give her time and space and make sure she gets what she needs, you'll know when she asks.