Doh! I just bought leopard without thinking!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WillMak, Oct 25, 2007.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

So I bought leopard for 69 bucks just now because of the sale when I don't even have enough space on my macbook rev.A to handle it! Doh! Are there any places (non inernet) that I can go to where I can pick up a nice cheap 2.5 sata drive for a good deal!?

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh damn really!? Thanks!

4. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

where did you get it for $69? where?
    I'm so pissed by apple jacking up the edu price for leopard.
    I don't really care about shelling out additional $116-$69. Can be easily spent on beers anyway. BUT, why?? I felt the cold side of apple!
    Finally, I realized, it's just a profit maximizing company! Unlike no others.

6. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey mike, if you're a student at a college with an accreditted apple store they are doing a 69 dollar sale for students. Jump on that now! I got mine at the cal computer store

7. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

I wish I could, but unfortunately we don't have a brick & mortar apple store. And our bookstore is owned by barns & noble's, no software sold. All I can do is going to online apple edu store where is has leopard for freaking $116. I totally don't understand apple's mkting strategy. it feels sketchy.

8. Tazmania macrumors newbie

Maybe you have friend who can buy one of those $69 copies for you?

However, Leopard is not worth more than $69, its a great rip-off what Apple is selling as it new revolutionary operatingsystem :mad:

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Perhaps now would be a good idea to come up with arguments as to why?

10. thestaton macrumors 6502

maybe if we complain enough Jobs will give the students $50 dollars back like the iPhone users :)

11. Tazmania macrumors newbie

I dont see a revolution, some expamples:

* Time Machine
    I have in mind backup programs exists for a very very long time. The only difference, that one is more colored.

* Spaces
    I'm sure virtual desktops are well known since the first version of Solaris with GUI and also its standard in Linux

* Safari
    Not really new, but the most useless browser on planet. Missing lots of features Firefox and Opera have

Pros:
    The GUI is faster in Leopard and the Airport connects much faster to a WLAN network.

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

you might find it to be the most useless browser on the planet, but you do know it is the most standards compliant browser, right? it's not WebKit's fault that MS/Mozilla don't follow standards and pretty much force web designer to write pages that are not compatible with all browsers.

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I agree that the features are far from revolutionary, but what makes it great is the way Apple makes it accessible to the average user. Tons of people will use Time Machine who never had the time or inclination to buy confusing addon backup software before. I am really liking Spaces, as it is a much slicker interpretation of multiple desktops than any I've used before...and I've tried them all. The new Finder is great with coverflow, network mounted drive disconnects are handled more gracefully, etc. It's a worthy upgrade.

Back to the original point of this thread: that drive at NewEgg is a good deal, but it's an open box (meaning a return). It probably works, but just so you're aware. You can find new 160GB drives for around $100 if you look.

14. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Um not to nit-pick, but I thought you were looking for a non-internet location for a drive? Does NewEgg have a retail presence? :D

15. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I know! I wanted non internet beause I wanted drive there pick it up and install it right away instead of waiting for shipping! But it just seems like I can get such a better deal online! any suggestions!?

16. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You'll always get a better deal online, especially when it comes to hardware. If the deal is good enough for you to warrant waiting a few days then do it.

You can always pay extra for expedited shipping.

17. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

So any reccomendations!?

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

One of this forum's veteran users has reported success with the following method:
    Call schools around you that sell Leopard at $69 and ask them if they will honor other schools' IDs. Some will say no, but some will say yes. At the very least, all you have to gain is $47;)
    I'd say it's worth $69. It offers new features, is slightly faster. It is certainly better than paying $200 for the basic Vista package.
    Time Machine is revolutionary because of how simple it is. It requires almost no effort on the part of user to keep a backup going. Sort of like flossing; everyone knows they should do it, but most don't have the time/energy to put up with it. :p Time Machine simplifies the process so that non-technical people can simply plug in and go.
    I'll reserve judgement on Spaces until I actually use it, but it does look mildly promising.
    Safari is plenty fast for me, and I like the way it's organized. Although I do admit that Firefox is probably the better package deal at the moment.
    If you live near FRYS, then this is where I'd go. This week, they have a 500GB external on sale for $94. They usually have pretty good deals, often coming close to online prices.