Doh! I just bought leopard without thinking!

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
So I bought leopard for 69 bucks just now because of the sale when I don't even have enough space on my macbook rev.A to handle it! Doh! Are there any places (non inernet) that I can go to where I can pick up a nice cheap 2.5 sata drive for a good deal!?

michaelfengdayu

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
So I bought leopard for 69 bucks just now because of the sale when I don't even have enough space on my macbook rev.A to handle it! Doh! Are there any places (non inernet) that I can go to where I can pick up a nice cheap 2.5 sata drive for a good deal!?
where did you get it for $69? where?
I'm so pissed by apple jacking up the edu price for leopard.
I don't really care about shelling out additional $116-$69. Can be easily spent on beers anyway. BUT, why?? I felt the cold side of apple!
Finally, I realized, it's just a profit maximizing company! Unlike no others.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
where did you get it for $69? where?
I'm so pissed by apple jacking up the edu price for leopard.
I don't really care about shelling out additional $116-$69. Can be easily spent on beers anyway. BUT, why?? I felt the cold side of apple!
Finally, I realized, it's just a profit maximizing company! Unlike no others.
Hey mike, if you're a student at a college with an accreditted apple store they are doing a 69 dollar sale for students. Jump on that now! I got mine at the cal computer store

michaelfengdayu

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
I wish I could, but unfortunately we don't have a brick & mortar apple store. And our bookstore is owned by barns & noble's, no software sold. All I can do is going to online apple edu store where is has leopard for freaking $116. I totally don't understand apple's mkting strategy. it feels sketchy.

Tazmania

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Maybe you have friend who can buy one of those $69 copies for you?

However, Leopard is not worth more than $69, its a great rip-off what Apple is selling as it new revolutionary operatingsystem :mad:

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Maybe you have friend who can buy one of those $69 copies for you?

However, Leopard is not worth more than $69, its a great rip-off what Apple is selling as it new revolutionary operatingsystem :mad:
Perhaps now would be a good idea to come up with arguments as to why?

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
maybe if we complain enough Jobs will give the students $50 dollars back like the iPhone users :)

Tazmania

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Perhaps now would be a good idea to come up with arguments as to why?
I dont see a revolution, some expamples:

* Time Machine
I have in mind backup programs exists for a very very long time. The only difference, that one is more colored.

* Spaces
I'm sure virtual desktops are well known since the first version of Solaris with GUI and also its standard in Linux

* Safari
Not really new, but the most useless browser on planet. Missing lots of features Firefox and Opera have

Pros:
The GUI is faster in Leopard and the Airport connects much faster to a WLAN network.

fishkorp

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
* Safari
Not really new, but the most useless browser on planet. Missing lots of features Firefox and Opera have
you might find it to be the most useless browser on the planet, but you do know it is the most standards compliant browser, right? it's not WebKit's fault that MS/Mozilla don't follow standards and pretty much force web designer to write pages that are not compatible with all browsers.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

* Time Machine
I have in mind backup programs exists for a very very long time. The only difference, that one is more colored.

* Spaces
I'm sure virtual desktops are well known since the first version of Solaris with GUI and also its standard in Linux

* Safari

Pros:
The GUI is faster in Leopard and the Airport connects much faster to a WLAN network.
I agree that the features are far from revolutionary, but what makes it great is the way Apple makes it accessible to the average user. Tons of people will use Time Machine who never had the time or inclination to buy confusing addon backup software before. I am really liking Spaces, as it is a much slicker interpretation of multiple desktops than any I've used before...and I've tried them all. The new Finder is great with coverflow, network mounted drive disconnects are handled more gracefully, etc. It's a worthy upgrade.

Back to the original point of this thread: that drive at NewEgg is a good deal, but it's an open box (meaning a return). It probably works, but just so you're aware. You can find new 160GB drives for around $100 if you look.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
WAIT A MINUTE! but I can get 160 for lesss here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152055R

Is this the best deal out on the net right now?
Um not to nit-pick, but I thought you were looking for a non-internet location for a drive? Does NewEgg have a retail presence? :D

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Um not to nit-pick, but I thought you were looking for a non-internet location for a drive? Does NewEgg have a retail presence? :D
I know I know! I wanted non internet beause I wanted drive there pick it up and install it right away instead of waiting for shipping! But it just seems like I can get such a better deal online! any suggestions!?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I know I know! I wanted non internet beause I wanted drive there pick it up and install it right away instead of waiting for shipping! But it just seems like I can get such a better deal online! any suggestions!?
You'll always get a better deal online, especially when it comes to hardware. If the deal is good enough for you to warrant waiting a few days then do it.

You can always pay extra for expedited shipping.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
You'll always get a better deal online, especially when it comes to hardware. If the deal is good enough for you to warrant waiting a few days then do it.

You can always pay extra for expedited shipping.
So any reccomendations!?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I wish I could, but unfortunately we don't have a brick & mortar apple store. And our bookstore is owned by barns & noble's, no software sold. All I can do is going to online apple edu store where is has leopard for freaking $116. I totally don't understand apple's mkting strategy. it feels sketchy.
One of this forum's veteran users has reported success with the following method:
Call schools around you that sell Leopard at $69 and ask them if they will honor other schools' IDs. Some will say no, but some will say yes. At the very least, all you have to gain is $47;)
I'd say it's worth $69. It offers new features, is slightly faster. It is certainly better than paying $200 for the basic Vista package.

* Time Machine
Time Machine is revolutionary because of how simple it is. It requires almost no effort on the part of user to keep a backup going. Sort of like flossing; everyone knows they should do it, but most don't have the time/energy to put up with it. :p Time Machine simplifies the process so that non-technical people can simply plug in and go.
* Spaces
I'll reserve judgement on Spaces until I actually use it, but it does look mildly promising.
* Safari
Safari is plenty fast for me, and I like the way it's organized. Although I do admit that Firefox is probably the better package deal at the moment.
So any reccomendations!?
If you live near FRYS, then this is where I'd go. This week, they have a 500GB external on sale for $94. They usually have pretty good deals, often coming close to online prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.