Doing a clean reinstall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djraysr, May 22, 2015.

1. djraysr macrumors newbie

My mbp is around 4 years old and getting sluggish. I am researching doing a clean install of Yosemite (i.e., backing up all data and formatting the hard drive and the reinstalling Yosemite). There is a lot of info out there on how to do this. My question is this: some guidance has me creating a "bootable installer drive". Other guidance doesn't mention that. Is creating the bootable drive really necessary? Thanks for your help.

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

The bootable installer drive just means you don't HAVE to have an internet connection to complete the install. Without the drive, you need to have a stable internet connection to allow Internet Recovery to do the job. Using the drive, the install will go faster but no matter what you'll be waiting for the OS to download, using the drive just shifts that wait to before you wipe your system.

3. djraysr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

5. djraysr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up on that. I am poking around to see what is involved in making the bbotable drive. I took a look at Diskmaker X. When I tried that, it said I was missing the OSX installer app. I guess that is automatically deleted when an upgrade is installed. I thought I could download it from the apple App store. Not finding it but will keep trying.
    Thanks again.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The OSX installer is on the first page of the app store. Just scroll down and you will see it.

Attached Files:

7. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

4 years old? Thats fail time for a HDD time to replace the HDD. Unless you're using a SSD then I have no idea.

8. djraysr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I found it, I think. Downloaded it and it went to the applications folder. Now when I run Diskmaker X, I select Yosemite and it comes back to tell me no installer app could be found. I browse and select the 152K file I downloaded (OSX Yosemite) and now diskmaker says that file can't be used to create a lion installation file. The download page says it should be compatible with Yosemite. Hmmmm.....