Doing fresh install of OSX...need to save iPhone backup.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scull20, Jun 5, 2011.

1. scull20 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

A little background:

I have a first gen Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.5.8 installed on it. Needless to say its painfully slow. I have nothing else installed on the machine other than the OS and iTunes and I literally only use it to sync my iPhone on. However, its really just too slow for me to tolerate so I want to do a fresh install of OSX using the discs that I have that came with it hoping it will run faster.

That being said:

I was wondering if someone familiar with this process would be able to provide some insight on where I need to go to save the iTunes backup, my pictures, apps, songs, etc. so that after I do the install I can just put everything back where it came from and plug my phone in like nothing ever happened.

Thanks for the help in advance, I greatly appreciate it!

-Ryan

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The iphone backup file is located in "/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup"

You probably also want to grab your itunes folder which is located in "/Users/USER_NAME/Music"

if you have pics syncing to iPhoto grab that at "/Users/USER_NAME/Pictures"

3. scull20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response!

So if I back those folders up onto a flash drive, reinstall the old OSX, then put them back in the same places after the install I will sync normally?

-Ryan

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yes, I believe that should cover everything you mentioned.

5. scull20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks again!

-Ryan