Doing my taxes online

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Feb 14, 2008.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm looking for a good web-based service to use for e-filing my federal taxes. I'm bummed to see that HR Block doesn't offer anything for free anymore. TurboTax does, but It doesn't seem that TurboTax's free service will let me deduct tuition expenses. Does anybody have experience with these two sites and can anybody recommend another (preferably free) site?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

http://www.irs.gov/ has an extensive listing of all the free sites that are certified. Under a federal law, all companies that create Tax software, must have a version available for free for people who qualify.

I used the free/online TurboTax last year and it would have allowed me to deduct my tuition if I had made enough.

TEG

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If the tuition expenses are big enough, you might come out ahead using cheap software or a cheap service to do the whole job, instead of a free service.

If you can't find a free service that covers the tuition expense, and don't want to spend any money, and don't need to e-file, you could use a free service for everything but the tuition, but instead of filing the results review the forms and fill out your own copies by hand with the tuition taken into account.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000