Dolby Atmos = No Sound Pioneer SC-87

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Lumpy05, Sep 18, 2018.

1. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Apple released an update for tvOS today, 12.0.1, update notes are very vague, but, wondering if it fixes Atmos issues?

2. Lumpy05 thread starter macrumors regular

No change for me still no sound when atmos is enabled

3. Thebizz22 macrumors newbie

After spending a bunch of time with Pioneer, we couldn't get Atmos to stream via the ATV. They believed it was an issue with the ATV. Finally decided to return my receiver and got a new Marantz...Atmos now works like a charm.

4. cafeman macrumors newbie

According to Yamaha the Apple TV is sending a non-compliant signal by failing to transmit channel status information within the PCM/Atmos stream. Some models of amplifiers are therefore unable to decode the stream. Most of their amplifiers have a "workaround" (in their words) but that can apparently cause unexpected behaviours and it would be better if the source were correctly encoded in the first place.

This may not be the issue you're having but it's a diagnosed problem with the RX-VX077 and RX-AX040 series of amplifiers from Yamaha. If you're still having issues, I'd encourage you to submit a bug with Apple.

5. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

Isn't Pioneer these day the same company as Onkyo ?

On my TX-NR767E Atmos finally works after an firmware update in October, with among Deezer support and Amazon Music mentioned "stability and bug fixes". It's 1091-1020-3050-0010.

Now I see in Netflix and iTunes the Atmos logo. The Onkyo app shows PCM with Atmos content. That's correct, because Apple decided to go for a rather new Dolby format called MAT, which stands for Dolby Metadata-enhanced. Audio Transmission, which is actually meant for sound bars:

https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles...er/dolby-atmos-for-sound-bar-applications.pdf

"With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded the Dolby MAT technology to support encoding and decoding of Dolby Atmos metadata incorporated in lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.
    A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object -based audio can be live encoded and
    transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the likely
    sources are broadcast set -top boxes and game consoles."

After reading this, I expect this format also to be used for gaming consoles and e.g. VR headsets.

6. P12 macrumors newbie

For Pioneer users, you need to access System Setup and [Turn Off] Fixed PCM.

Got it working today on my SC-LX502 while watching The Meg, a small Dolby Atmos logo will appear in red and so on the receiver display when changing surround modes.

[​IMG]

7. Lumpy05 thread starter macrumors regular

8. asrikrishnan macrumors newbie

Did setting Fixed PCM to off allow for Apple TV 4K Atmos streaming on the LX-503? Recently got this receiver through a nice deal and this would be a big deal to me. Thanks!