Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAN66

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
So,

The new movie store (and I'm asuming higher quality TV shows) are going to have higher resolution and Dolby Surround Sound audio (Most likely 5.1). Maybe we'll start to see DD 5.1 music as well.

For any of us who own an iMac or Mac Mini this is a real tease wouldn't you say, that lovely sound surrounding you, giving you the ultimate media experience... but the stereo speakers on your mac delivering it in simple left and right configuration.

Who else here thinks they're holding something back?

I see them releasing a Mac Mini Media Edition with Digital Audio out (and probably some component connections) when they release the iTV, it just seems natural.

Of course having just revved the entire linup, I dunno if it will happen.

Who else thinks they have a few more hardware tricks up their sleave for this upcoming christmas season?

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
The iTV (or whatever they call it) and the Mac mini have digital optical sound out, which is fine for connecting to an AV receiver - so I don't see what extra hardware is required.

As for 5.1 music, try and name me more than two albums worth listening to that were recorded in more than 2 channels.

David

SAN66

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Despite being optical, as far as I understand it, they do not offer surround sound through this optical plug.

The optical on the back of my Imac and the optical on the back of my TV are not compatible, unless theres some sort of adapter.

If there is, please tell me, then ignore this thread.

SAN66

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Actually,

I should do a little more research. I found the adapter.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=TA968LL/A

Unfortunately it is only stereo.

I suppose they would not need to add any necesary hardware on the shell, except for posibbly more ease in compatibility (IE a full size optical out, and composite video to make it media center compatible), but in the innards, would they not need to add a DD 5.1 decoder? I'm sure this could be done software wise, but as far as I understand it you have to pay for the Dolby license and thus the chip.

From what I understand, you cannot get DD 5.1 from a mac mini out of the box.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
there are adapters...

one looks more like a standard 1/8 plug and the other end is the regular optical jack type plug... squarish

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
"Audio
Mac mini easily connects to most home stereos with the right cable:
You’ll need an optical mini-plug cable to connect to the audio input of most A/V receivers and home theater audio systems with 5.1 surround sound. With some receivers, you may need a mini-plug to TOSLINK adapter, such as the Belkin PureAV Digital Optical Cable with Mini-TOSLINK adapter.
You can connect Mac mini to most TVs, audio receivers, and speakers using analog line-out. You might need a mini-plug to stereo RCA adapter, such as the Monster mini-to-RCA left/right audio cable."

it's not stereo, it's optical. your 5.1 reciever or decoding speakers such as some logitch models will decode the 5.1 from dvds.

SAN66

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Ahh, sorry, my bad.

I manly got confused because the digital audio from the system is not what I've seen standard on most Surround receivers.

You may have just convinced me to get a Mac Mini as the next media box for my home theater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.