Dolby Vision and Atmos on Catalina

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by donster28, Jun 3, 2019.

1. donster28, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

donster28 macrumors 68000

Did I hear wrong or was it announced that current MacBook Pros (I mean 2018 onwards) will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?

Other than that or Apple is trolling us with a potential screen upgrade on new machines (with OLEDs for example).
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    Found this:
    https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features/

Dolby Atmos

Enjoy a thrilling surround sound experience with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks in the Apple TV app using the built-in speakers on certain Mac models.4

Number 2 on the footnote:
    4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screens.

So, Atmos is confirmed to be activated on 2018 Macs and piped through their existing speakers (more or less like a virtual effect) but Vision is still a little sketchy considering the limited capabilities of current MacBook screens.

2. Dave245, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Yea i don't understand this either. How can they put 4K content with HDR when there are no Mac's that have 4K screens :confused:

As for the sound, i think they can give certain effects with software and a virtual effect. As for the screen i have no idea! I saw the same on Apple's website as well (at the bottom of the page)

Could it be later this year, they announce the rumoured 16" redesign with an OLED display? or maybe a MicroLED with 4K? :eek: I wouldn't of thought that would be an option, unless they have solved burn in on large OLED screens.

EDIT: i've just realised that the iMac has 4K and 5K screens. Maybe it's for those machines.

Attached Files:

3. fokmik macrumors 68040

Is there any reference for oled macs since you think that apple is trolling us ?

4. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Macbook screens aren't rated for HDR... and if they were it wouldn't be very effective given that they don't use local dimming back lights. It may be able to show it, technically but it won't be HDR

5. leman macrumors G3

Well, all retina screens are 4K for most practical purposes. But I too would appreciate a clarification on this.

6. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000