Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Did I hear wrong or was it announced that current MacBook Pros (I mean 2018 onwards) will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?

Other than that or Apple is trolling us with a potential screen upgrade on new machines (with OLEDs for example).
[doublepost=1559592529][/doublepost]Found this:
https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features/

Dolby Atmos

Enjoy a thrilling surround sound experience with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks in the Apple TV app using the built-in speakers on certain Mac models.4

Number 2 on the footnote:
4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screens.

So, Atmos is confirmed to be activated on 2018 Macs and piped through their existing speakers (more or less like a virtual effect) but Vision is still a little sketchy considering the limited capabilities of current MacBook screens.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yea i don't understand this either. How can they put 4K content with HDR when there are no Mac's that have 4K screens :confused:

As for the sound, i think they can give certain effects with software and a virtual effect. As for the screen i have no idea! I saw the same on Apple's website as well (at the bottom of the page)

Could it be later this year, they announce the rumoured 16" redesign with an OLED display? or maybe a MicroLED with 4K? :eek: I wouldn't of thought that would be an option, unless they have solved burn in on large OLED screens.

EDIT: i've just realised that the iMac has 4K and 5K screens. Maybe it's for those machines.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 09.30.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 09.30.23.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Is there any reference for oled macs since you think that apple is trolling us ?

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Macbook screens aren't rated for HDR... and if they were it wouldn't be very effective given that they don't use local dimming back lights. It may be able to show it, technically but it won't be HDR

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yea i don't understand this either. How can they put 4K content with HDR when there are no Mac's that have 4K screens :confused:

Well, all retina screens are 4K for most practical purposes. But I too would appreciate a clarification on this.

Reactions: Dave245

olium

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
I am looking for information about dolby atmos 11.2 and if it can work on the new mac models with Catalina. If anyone knows if this can be done please let everyone know.

For those who can't get there head around the reason for macs supporting 4k but with no 4k screen, well, look at it this way, when you buy a new desktop pc with a premium gpu that supports 4k you don't get any screen with it so you can't watch anything. Your next step would be buy a 4k screen, the same applies to mac but they give you a screen to view your content. The reason they give you 4k is so you can watch 4k content on a large external 4k screen. 4k on a laptop screen would be counterproductive for general use as everything would be too small to see and upscaling would be needed. OLED 4k screens are very expensive and can incur screen burn, would you really want a screen like this on your laptop. However, if you did have 4k on a maxed out Macbook Pro 2020 model you would probably use a desktop resolution of around 2k but if you were to play a 4k native movie on it it would use all the pixels and put out 4k content, if all you want to do is watch 4k movies it would be better on a 4k HDR tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.