Dolly/Slider and Rig DIY's?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by prodigee, May 26, 2010.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I really want to up the level of my video skills, so I thought, well video needs to be smooth so I thought "Hey I'll buy a portable dolly." Looked at the prices and just said "NOPE." Since I am doing most if not all of my work this summer based around cars, a rig would be awesome too, but I know those cost 3 arms and 6 legs so making one was always going to be the plan, but now that I am actually coming to a time that I can make them I have no idea what to do. I have been looking around the interwebz and I have found some pretty good rig DIY's but nothing really on the dolly/slider part.

I need the dolly to be portable something that can fit in the trunk of my car and really easy to setup so I can just get out and film.

If you guys could assist me in that, it would be awesome.

Thanks,

Kielan

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, it depends on your budget but I would recommend making a DP Slider replica.

You can see some sample videos here.

It is made out of Redi-Rail, which you can order here (US) or here (Europe).

You will need the Redi-Rail RR45 Rail and the Redi-Rail RRS45 Slide (you can get them in both metric and inches).

Then you need to drill a hole in the middle of the rail so you can fit it on a tripod (use a quick release like the Manfrotto 507 or similar to quickly get it on and off the tripod) and one for the Redi-Rail Slider so you can fit the camera onto it.

Not sure about pricing but probably around $150 for 3 feet.

I am in the process of ordering this setup myself and use it with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

It beats the ZaZa Slider / IGUS Slider by miles.

3. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

5. Mayberry macrumors newbie

Hey, I also was looking for a slider. Came across this one E-Z Slider. Looks similar to the DP Slider. A little more affordable though. I think I may get one.

6. jayhanamura macrumors newbie

update on dp slider replica

Hey Pressure...any update on making that dp slider replica? i'm very interested in doing the same thing.

7. vizfxman macrumors regular

Found this DIY that looks interesting. Under $100.

DIY dolly

8. jwheeler macrumors regular

Thats very similar to one I made. I used skate board wheels.

Only mine is a bit stronger, and I have extendible piping.

Make sure you have the tubing and the wheels to hand when making. So that you can work out where to drill the holes for the wheels.

Oh and the "don't tighten too much" thing is BS. If they are proper ball bearing wheels (which skates & skate board wheels generally are) then you tighten as much as you want (Id reccomend a torque of 10Nm). And its better practice to have at least two full threads showing past the nut on the screw

9. Mayberry macrumors newbie

Hi jayhanamura, -- I purchased the E-Zslider It is very smooth. I am very happy with it. Some talk on other forums say it is as good or better than the dp slider but more affordable.