Dolphin is faster then Safari, the New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by rm2092, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Yes Dolphin is faster then Safari, the down side to using it is there is no option to set as default browser.

2. mingisback macrumors regular

Dolphin has such an horrible UI. It's like the devs know nothing about design standards or even care.

I didn't pay good money for an iPad with a retina display to be staring at a complete UI diasaster.

Did you run any web benchmarks on these two browsers or is this some random claim?

3. mingisback macrumors regular

Out of curiosity I decided to see if your claim of Dolphin being a faster browser is true and ran the BrowserMark bench tool on both.

Higher is better in this bench test.

Safari scored a 99114
    Dolphin scored a 54779

Not only did Safari beat Dolphin, it completely destroyed it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Bazinga!

5. turkey1 macrumors member

Why is safari so much faster than all the app store browsers? I tested atomic, icab, and mercury on browsermark and safari got almost twice the numbers they did. I love the gestures / features on the others but safari is so much faster

6. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I agree with the OP. My anecdotal experience is that Dolphin is at least as quick. Makes sense that Safari would be faster, but I can't tell the difference.

However, I like most of the Dolphin UI. I love the swipe bars.

Considering Safari was about 5 years late to tabbed browsing, something universally appreciated by everyone except Apple loyalists, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Let's be honest, Safari is reliable. But it is entirely vanilla.

7. Ramonn macrumors member

It's my best preferred browser and those tripping about BrowserMark, just try the app before you start tripping. It's probably the best browser ever. End of.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because Apple is only allowing Safari to use the Nitro JavaScript engine to be used in Safari. Everything else must use the older iOS 4.2.1 JavaScript engine which isn't as fast.

9. wadjj macrumors regular

Also hide some other APIs, e.g. Most third-party browser lags when scrolling. Not developer's fault.

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Exactly. Another VERY unfriendly step from Apple. Devs have been asking Apple for at least a YEAR to lift this deliberate(!) limitation, but no... well, Apple can "thank" their own stubborness if more and more people goes for Win8 / Android instead.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Um, maybe just Android?

Seen what Microsoft is doing with IE on the ARM processors (i.e. tablets)?

http://www.osnews.com/story/25935

12. wadjj, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

wadjj macrumors regular

So get back to the post, no browser could be faster than safari on iOS. All the other can only win by extra features, but I'd rather use workarounds with safari, speed and smoothness are the most important for most of the times.

Dolphin is great on Android for all the add-ons, don't know why they don't build some in on iOS, they should at least try to integrate evernote and readitlater features. The current version on iOS has nothing good but gestures and slide for tabs and favs, that's not enough for the sacrifice of speed and smoothness