Domain and Hosting from two different providers?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by definitive, Jan 11, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Is there any benefit in parking your domains with one provider (ex: namecheap), and hosting with another (ex: hostgator, bluehost, etc.)? Or is it better to have them both on one (ex: hostgator, bluehost, etc.)?

My current hosting contract will be ending soon, and I am thinking of maybe switching to a different one for better quality service. Only thing I am unsure of is whether to use a single company to park domains and host them. I'm also looking in to using one of the domains to act as a website, and an email address at the same time. Would having the domain parked with a separate provider allow me to do that?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Really doesn't matter. Most hosting providers will allow you to transfer a domain you bought elsewhere. Having an e-mail address is not related to who your domain was purchased through.

3. jwm2 macrumors regular

I find it much easier to use a domain registrar for all your domains and just point them to the dns your host gives you when signing up. This way if you need to change hosts you can very easily without hassling with domain transfers. I have roughly 50 domains and use a variety of hosts depending on the application.

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Much better to split.

Usually keep all domains with a single registrar - good ones don't charge to transfer out. eg 1 and 1

Hosting will vary usually for each client.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

i've been doing some reading on 1and1, and they seem like a good hosting company, but one thing i keep coming across over and over is the poor reviews of its control panel. these reviews are several years old though, so i don't know how or if they've made improvements to it over the years. i'm used to cpanel over things like godaddy where they have everything scattered around and hidden behind several dozen links, and slow loading pages...

6. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Yes I don't use them for hosting just domain. No real problems over the years. Its pretty much all automated.

Hosting is a more sensitive to customer service issues so you need to do your research. I prefer a smaller more personal company for that, my English company, I think, hosts in the good ole US of A. :)

7. jtara, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

jtara macrumors 65816

I think you're mis-using the term "parking". Parking is putting-up a rabbit-warren of links to try to extract revenue from a domain name that's not in use for a "real" site...

Anyway, assuming you meant "registering", rather than "parking"....

I think it's advisable to keep domain registration and hosting separate. I like to keep DNS separate as well.

This reduces the risk if you have some kind of dispute with the web hosting company. You can easily take your business elsewhere, without them holding your domain hostage.

You can reduce risk further by having your DNS somewhere other than your registrar. While rare, there have been "business situations" at registrars that have left things in limbo for months, with no ability for users to make any kind of changes. Fortunately, when this has happened, data has remained in the registries (separate from the registrar - example: GoDaddy is a registrar. .com is a registry). So, say your registrar goes bust, kuput, "off the air". The registry still has your SOA pointing to your DNS service (separate! I like dnsmadeasy...). You can still move your site to a different hosting service - say while the registrar is dead, you need to add more subdomains, need to move to a different host for cost or support or capacity reasons, etc. You can still do it. If your DNS is with your registrar, you are screwed until the registrar mess is dealt-with.

No, these things don't happen often BUT THEY DO HAPPEN. Keep registration, DNS, and hosting all separate, and you have maximum flexibility and minimum risk.

Sure, good companies don't do this. But lots of shady ones do.

Don't delegate domain registration to ANYONE. Not a designer, programmer, web host, etc. etc. etc. DO IT YOURSELF. Don't even let somebody else perform the mechanics of registration for you. If anyone offers you "free" registration of your domains, say "thanks, but no thanks!"

Use a professional registrar that specializes in domain registration. If they offer other services as a convenience, pass them up - you can probably get a better deal and better service elsewhere. If you have multiple domains, make sure the registrar is multiple-domain-friendly. For one, that means their purchasing process should't annoy you trying to get you to sign-up for additional services. And it should be easy to deal with multiple domains in their web UI. I like moniker.com.

8. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Thank you for the useful information. I knew of Domain Registrars and Hosting, but never about separate DNS... How does the whole process work in terms of linking the domain account, to the DNS to hosting?

9. donnybwoy macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,I am a newbie in here and I appreciate all the review which are made in here because it really helps me to know more about domain and web hosting policies.I have just joined a company which provides web hosting.