Domain Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techguy1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. techguy1 macrumors regular

I own 2 domains and stumbled across something that looked interesting but before I buy, I was wondering if anyone else had used it .. I know $6 isn't much, but I don't want to waste my time and cash.

Sync Email

2. Middling macrumors regular

I know you're probably a spammer and wont see this but for anyone that might actually get suckered in by this i'll point out that this certainly is a waste of money.

You can sync between multiple devices using IMAP instead of POP for your email.

For people wanting to use their own domains you can get this for free by using Google Apps for your domain (go for the standard edition rather than the pay for premier version). You also get access to a Jabber/XMPP service using your domain (provided you set up the relevant DNS records), as well as many other Google services. I use this for one of my back-up domains.

For people who aren't comfortable with Google there are other options. For my main domain i use PolarisMail for my email. 1 mailbox costs $12/year. For XMPP/Jabber and SIP i use OnSIP. It's not mentioned on the prices page but they have an "á la carte" option that doesn't cost anything if you don't use any additional services. Using this combination means that my email, Jabber and SIP addresses all use the same unified address.

3. techguy1 thread starter macrumors regular

Jeez .. thanks for the vote of confidence. I've been on these forums for quite some time and am certainly NO spammer.
    All I asked for was some advice and I thank you for that.
    Money saved.

4. Middling macrumors regular

I apologise for calling you a spammer. I noticed that your post had been edited by a moderator to remove a referral link and just assumed. I should have checked your post history, sorry.

I expect the ebook will simply detail the Google Apps method i mentioned in my last post as it is the most well-known free hosted email service (Microsoft also do a version called Windows Live Custom Domains but it only supports POP3 and constantly throws up authentication errors). There are probably others.

You could also use Google for email and Jabber and use OnSIP for VoIP for a totally non-cost solution.