Domain name advise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 19, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a question on whether a domain naming scheme that I'm kicking around will be confusing or a good idea.

Given the fact that most of the dictionary words are now all taken, either by squatters or by people/companies wanting that domain name. Its difficult finding one.

I was thinking of making up a word with one or some numbers in the middle. For instance, take cloud.com, obviously its already registered, instead I would register cl0ud.com.

Would using cl0ud.com be confusing, that is when wanting to email me, they would type cloud.com instead of cl0ud.com (I'm using cloud.com as an example, I don't really own or have a desire for cl0ud.com - it just seems like a good example to explain my thinking).

Would people or organizations think it spam if I go that route.

The same question applies if I put a 1 at the end. say cloud1.com. Could that be mistaken as spam by people or computers?

I'm struggling to come up with a domain name that I want to use for personal use and emails.

Mike

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Very good points. IMO both situations are highly undesirable and best avoided. The former is particularly annoying for giving out to people "it's cloud.com, but with a zero, instead of the 'o'". If I was you I'd just try to find something 'unique', even if it has a really crappy suffix.

3. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

This. Or simply add your state infront of the name or after. For example showandgo.com was taken so we took wvshowandgo.com.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think it would be very confusing for people looking to email you. Using your cl0ud.com example, I'm betting the 99.9% of people would always type in cloud.com and wonder why you never reply to them. Also I think it would come in as spam when trying to email a company or whatever since I get TONS of spam emails at my work and lots of them use that numb3r-1nst3ad-0f-l3tt3r type domain names.

Just out of curiosity, are you set on using .com for your domain? Have you looked into other ones like .me, .info, etc? Might have be easier to find one of those instead of the .com version.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess I needed to sound it out before coming to that realization.

That's not a bad idea at all. I'll have work through some naming combinations with my state there.

That was my fear that it would be considered spam. I (like everyone else) prefer .com but I'll need to look at the other TLDs as well.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Or combine two words.

So, cloudzero.com, or pinkcloud.com, or even zerocloudzero.com

Lots more combos, and if it's a bit weird, but easy to connect the two words, then it's actually easier to remember.

Good Luck.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

human might thing cl0ud.com is spam computers not so much. Computer use a server list system now days and if your email server/domain is not on the list chances are you are safe and they will just pass it right along. It is all automated. It a flagging system and has no way for a human to interact with it. I know TTU would at times get its entire domain flagged as spam because @TTU.edu would recieve a lot of spam and a lot of students just had all email sent to TTU.edu address just forwarded to their personal one. TTU disabled that for all new students and that REALLY cut down on that issue.

Texas A&M I know has gotten flagged a few times and caused a huge amount of hell for a TTU prof and a TAMU prof because the TAMU prof could not email the TTU prof as TAMU servers were blacklisted and it took 3 to 4 days for it to clear.

(I know way to much about that email backend stuff)

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good one-word domain names are practically impossible to find but there are plenty of two-word combinations. Consider yourself lucky to have so many two-word combinations available because the way things are going we'll eventually all be picking three-word domain names because all of the good two-word combinations are gone!

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I'm finding now :(

What do you folks think of the .CO TLD. They're pushing that Top Level Domain and there's a bit more available. The purpose as I mentioned is for email. I'm working hard at finding something that fits my naming desires for .com and .net (and to a less extent .us) as I think .co may easily be confused with .com.

10. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

I hate .co, it was made for company's and everyone is jumping on it like its a trend.

Even though I own one... but to be fair I own all .xxx for wvmotorsports... besides .xxx lmao

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I thought and to be honest, my thinking as well. I see godaddy pushing it though so I figured I'd pose the question. :)

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How about CumulusCloudStorage or StratusCloudStorage? :rolleyes: