Domain name help!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Gussieboi, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gussieboi macrumors newbie

Ok i deleted a domain so i could rebuy it from someone else. Now everytime if i try to buy it again it says its taken by me still even though i deleted it! what is the problem?:confused:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In what way did you "delete" it? It's not really something that becomes deleted. Domain names are registered and transferred, but not really deleted.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If by "deleting it" you just removed it from your web host, you still own it.

You need to transfer your registration to the new registrar. This is done through the site of the registrar you originally purchased it through.

4. jtara macrumors 65816

To actually "delete" a domain would probably require an extraordinary effort. Most registrars don't even have this option, at least in their online interface. You'd probably have to call them on the phone, and then they'd have to figure out just how to do it!

You can let the registration expire, but then there is a grace period, and it will still work through the grace period. And even then, once it is "shut off", it is usually held for an additional period before it will be re-issued to somebody else. Some registrars will attempt to re-sell expired domains at a premium price in the secondary market, if they feel it has value. So, a very risky thing to do (allowing it to expire).

As others have stated, transfer it. You initiate the transfer from the NEW registrar. You will most likely have to supply a code that you will need to get from your existing registrar.

BTW, when you transfer, you will keep the remaining portion of your registration period, plus whatever period you registered with at the new registrar. Say, you had already paid for a 2-year registration, and only 6 months have gone by. Transfer to a new registrar with a 1-year registration period, and you are good for 2 1/2 years.