Domain name question.. (your opinion). (Doesn't seem to be many .com's left)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iMacBoy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. iMacBoy, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

iMacBoy macrumors 6502

I'm planning to make an apple based fan site, but the domain name i want is not available as a '.com' but it is available as a '.net' do i go for the name i would like and get the '.net' or shall i change and head at a different name which is available as a '.com'?

EDIT: after searching for more 'apple' related domain names i am starting the realise that there is barely any '.com' names left..

Cheers.

2. jtara macrumors 65816

While there are few good .coms available for registration, there are plenty that are for sale. They may not cost as much as you might think.

Search on SEDO and other sites that list domains for sale. I can recommend SEDO as honest, efficient, and effective.

As to "do I need a .com"... I think it's really only important if you will rely on significant type-in traffic. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter, except as a measure of trust and prestige. I would stick to major TLDs if that is a concern. (No .info, .biz, no crazy foreign TLDs unless it is relevant to your site, eg. .tv .im, etc.)

I think .net gets close to equal billing with .com trust-wise, along with .org. .org may even have more trust than .com, but not if you're not really an organization. ;)

3. skyton macrumors 6502

Really agree with this - .net is pretty solid.
    Is the .com you want in use or just parked?

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want it for an apple 'fansite' basicly, for tips and etc for poeple to look at.

I was thinking;

UltimateApple.net
    JustApple.net

Which do you think is better? and both .com's are taken

5. skyton macrumors 6502

There doesn't seem to be anything on the .coms that could cause a conflict of interests

I like the sound of JustApple, totally personal preference though

6. jtara macrumors 65816

I would be wary of trademark issues. Yes, there are plenty these sites with "Apple" in their name, and even MacRumors...

But Apple is going on a trademark-protection rampage. First China, now New York...

They really have been surprisingly lax about domain names, despite how protective they are of their trademark in other areas. It may be because they let it slip years ago, and now there are too many "Apple" and "Mac" websites that they let get away with it all these years for them to make any argument in court that will stick.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You should be more concerned about what you have to offer over the thousands of other Apple fan sites. That's what will distinguish you from all the rest. Most people are going to get to your site via click through referrals and not by actually typing in the URL. By the time they find you, they will bookmark you if you have anything of interest to offer. Which leads us back to my first question.

And finally, if you don't plan to make money, then I wouldn't worry about locking down the .com name. However, if you are wanting to make this a legitimate business, you won't want to conflict with people who share the same name. If someone goes to Applewhatever.com and expects to find you.... but gets a totally different website, that can certainly muddy your brand. But, if you're not a business, then that shouldn't matter too much. If you ARE a business looking to build a clientele based on Apple products, you have to find a way to lock-down the name. You also need to make sure you aren't violating any Apple trademark issues.