Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Does anybody know any good domain name proiders? I would prefer a yearly fee of $20 an under. I am currently looking at Netfirms, which is the highest recommended in the about.com under $10 domain name recommendations. Is that a good choice?

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
tominated, there are plenty of inexpensive name providers out there, but here are a few pointers for you.

Some of them will require that you tack your names onto theirs, meaning that you can't move your site if you get disastified with them as they own the base domain (for example tominated.myispservice.com).

If you go with the other way and use, for example tominated.com, most providers will register that name for you, possibly for a small fee, or bundled into their services. If for some reason you become unhappy with them, you can move the name, but then you will sometimes find yourself immersed in confusing operations authorizing the move, and possibly down for a while. Also, the new provider may want a small fee (yet again) to process the change of the name move.

The last option is to register your chosen name with a top level registrar yourself. That will probably cost a little more because the above mentioned providers are able to purchase bulk services and pass on the discount to their customers. But this gives you the capability of controlling your name server pointers once you decide on a provider - this time just for hosting services. Then if you ever want to move, sign up with a new provider, get your web site set up there, change the names servers with the registrar, delete the old site and say goodbye to them.

I use network solutions for my domain registrations, but you being in the down under, you may have some other registrars available. I hope this is clearly spelled out, and if you have questions, please give a shout. All said, understand that there is a difference between registrars and hosting providers, in most cases.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
wow. thanks. i never new that. BTW: domain names from oz cost a fortune! I will probably just go with the netfirms one as it is cheap, and i don't need that much control. Thanks again.

PS. Does anybody know some (really) cheap web hosts preferably with php and mySQL? I don't want to spend $120 a year when i can get a package for a lot cheaper

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Dreamhost is popular for that.

nope. too expensive. i am only 13. my dad said he would take care of the domain name, but i have to take care of the hosting. I can't afford $120. I don't get pocket money (too lazy to do chores), the only money i get is from birthdays and christmas, and i'm saving that money for when the iphone comes out in Oz

xoreu

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
I use NearlyFreeSpeech.net for hosting and find it to be a great service for low to medium traffic sites (can't say anything about high-traffic ones).

For your situation, NFS seems ideal, because you only pay for the storage and bandwidth that you use, which shouldn't be to much. After switching, I ended up paying a fraction of the yearly price of other hosts for pretty much the same services.

They have PHP, MySQL, and pretty much everything else you can expect from a host. I've never had any issues with downtime or any other problems with them.
They have recently added the ability to register a domain name through them. It costs $7.50/year, which is definitely not more expensive than any other solutions, and you get the added ease of not having to worry about DNS records or name servers.

As a bonus, they are friendlier and more individualized, since they are a small company.

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
GoDaddy has .COM domains on sale for 6.95 (7.20 with the ICAAN fee included).

I used Pronethosting.net. It was US1.55. I had a few downtime issues with them. Unlimited MySQL BDs, PHP, 150MB space, 4GB transfer, unlimited add-on domains, emails, subdomains, etc.

My advise: never buy a domain with a hosting company, or use the free domain. They might keep the name if you decide to move or cancel.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
has anyone got any info about 1&1 hosting? it is really cheap and offers a reasonable amount of space. Although, surpass hosting sh*ts on 1&1 for value.

BTW: i just read that both 1&1 and surpass are crap on a couple of review sites. any other good hosts?

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Does anybody know any good domain name proiders? I would prefer a yearly fee of $20 an under. I am currently looking at Netfirms, which is the highest recommended in the about.com under $10 domain name recommendations. Is that a good choice?

dotster...

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
that isuyue thing doesn't work. BTW: I found eBoundHost and it has great reviews. any feedback? PS. if anybody knows what 'Hosted Websites Per Account' means, can they tell me, because it says the value plan has 1 site and 7 sites for the next plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.