domain name with capital letters

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elizamx, May 8, 2009.

1. elizamx macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to the use of Mac (and to the "administration" of computers in general).

I need to run some program that uses the domain name for the license.
    When I checked System Preferences > Sharing > Remote login on,
    There is a message saying "To log in to this computer remotely type
    "ssh name@xxx.XXXXXX.XX".

Now, in order to my program to run, I need to change the characters in capital letters (from the domain name) to lowercase. ie. I would like to see
    a message of the sort
    "To log in to this computer remotely type
    "ssh name@xxx.xxxxx.xx".

Is this possible? How can I change the domain name?

Hope this question makes sense.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not sure I completely follow. I don't believe the domain name is case-sensitive. Have you tried it as is yet?

3. elizamx thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to make more sense:

I have a program to do some chemistry calculations, and the license file of that specific program is for computers in the domain *chem.unam.mx

So, when I try to run the program I got a message saying that my license file is invalid because I have a domain chem.UNAM.MX

I looked at the Sharing> remote login and I found the message written in my first entry indicating name@chem.UNAM.MX

Seems that in the case of the license file, for some reason, the domain name is case sensitive.

And that is why I though that if I was able to change the domain name to all lowercase letter, maybe my problem with the license file will be solved.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well for me in my Sharing it shows an IP address for my domain so I can't really check on character case, but you can take a look through the Network settings in System Preferences to see if you can find anything that can be modified. I'm almost thinking that the domain is simply be given to you so there may not be anything you can do. Perhaps you should contact the owner of the app and see if they can provide any assistance.

5. whiteangel777 macrumors member

whiteangel777

try this:
    - open a terminal.
    - login as a admin-user (su adminusername -)
    - login as superroot (sudo su -) // maybe this step is not nessesary. this require the password for the admin-user again
    - change the domainname of your mac (domainname test.local)