Domain not found w/firefox but safari's ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wie Gehts, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I'm coming across this bit of annoyance lately that has to do with me going to a url in firefox and sometimes getting a 'domain not found'. But if I go and open the same url in safari, the website comes up. Then just to check, I'll go back in firefox and its still not working. Then after awhile firefox will work again.
    Anybody notice this too?

Thanks

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

which version of firefox are you using?

does clear cookies and caches help?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you tried typing this in... firefox?

type this address--> "about:config"

click -- I'm crazy and want to void the warranty

type in this filter--> "ipv6"

double click on--> "network.dns.disableipv6"

Which should now be set to a value of true.

4. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

The problem I had last night was going to Gmail on firefox, It would not let me! Then I was able to get in via Safari. I have not gone back to see if the problem got resolved or not but will let you all know by tomorrow. Also, I don't know if any one has been having crashes due to a "flash plug-in". I tried to view youtube vids, and all of a sudden either Firefox and or Safari crashes without warning or explenation!? anyone, anyone, anyone???

:apple:

5. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

I have whatever the latest version is.
    Not sure if its a cache problem as I haven't changed my behaviour with regards to cleaning it out except that it seems to be a recent problem.

Sunbaked, could you say what exactly that thing you wrote does before I give it a shot? thanks. Who new stuff like that was accessible. Its a shock to me! lol

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Turns off IPv6 inside Firefox, if Firefox is hanging on DNS and running really slow when clicking on a link or failing, this should speed things back up and reduce a good chunk of those Firefox-based DNS issues.

---

Besides, who knew there was a warranty with firefox you'd possibly be voiding anyhow. Not like you'd contact them for warranty service anyways.