Domain registration expiration - how soon is it available?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by duncanapple, Jun 29, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I have a question - How soon after a domain expires can another person pick it up? I have a domain name that I am looking to pick up when it expires (I know the owner) - Im not worried about someone else getting it as its not very popular, so I planned on just registering it to my name when it lapsed. It expired yesterday according to the WHOIS lookup (6/28/09) though as of today (6/29) I could not get it.

I guess there is some admin time in there? Does anyone have any experience with this? How soon can I grab this name?

Thanks -
    Chris

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I believe he can transfer it to you. I don't know the exact details, but he should contact who the domain is registered with for more info.

3. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

All registrars and registry's are a little different, but general rule of thumb is 30 - 45 days after it expires it will be released from the registry for registration by anyone though other registrars.

A quicker solution would be to just complete a transfer form your friend to you. (Unless you don't want your friend to know your taking it over!)

4. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

I actually just went through this. The domain expired in March. It takes exactly 75 days for a domain to completely expire and be able to be bought up again. I was able to register it on June 1st.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Domain name squatters can get the names sooner though. You should have your friend renew it and then transfer it to you.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I agree with this. Your friend should definitely renew it and then transfer it to you.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah speaking from experience. Few years ago, due to a mistake by the domain hosting company, they did not send me info nor charge me for domain name renewal. As soon as it technically expired a domain squatter got it, but there is some kind of grace period for original owners so the domain host got my name back.

The squatters know the system and know how to get it before other people can.

And another domain I really wanted went to the squatters when it expired, and the squatters wanted $1000 for that. But I wasn't about to pay them 100 times their investment for doing nothing.