Domain registration renewal - with who?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sallythemac, Mar 6, 2009.

1. sallythemac Guest

Hi

I have recently received an email from my current web hosting provider saying my subscription will expire soon, but i do not want to renew my hosting service with them. But i do want to renew my domain registration.

Do i have to renew my domain name with them as i registered it with them first, or can i renew with another company?

Cheers

James

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You should be able to renew with a different company. I'd personally recommend SiteGround if you're looking for new hosting, but shouldn't have any problems with that.

jW

3. Kaliemon macrumors member

You should be able to transfer registration to your new host if they offer domain registration services, which most do.

If you're not sure about which host to go with, you could transfer your domain to a company that's just a registrar and then you can try multiple hosting companies without worrying about domain services. Registrars generally charge a bit more, since they are not trying to get you to buy hosting.

4. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

I would suggest you transfer your domain name to godaddy.com then shop around to find a hosting company that suits your needs.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I always recommend that you keep your domain name and web hosting separate.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Why?

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because some unscrupulous hosts register domains in their name when you buy one with them. That means they can basically hold you to ransom by saying if you leave us as your web hosts we won't give you the domain name. Or as is more common they just charge an $80 fee or some such to have the name changed to your own.

8. sallythemac thread starter Guest

I have heard this many a time too.

9. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage