Domain registration

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fernandovalente, Jun 17, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

There are people who register domains with the plan to sell it for absurd prices. One domain I would like to buy, was registered by someone with the intention to sell it. They are asking for $750(!) for the domain. I would like to know if there's anything I could do.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Besides buy the domain, nothing that I can think of. URL squatters will do that with any thing, domain names, Twitter accounts, etc. People registered "georgewbushlibrary.com" for $10 and sold it for $35,000.

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I never bid on domains. If I want one I look for one that nobody has and pick it up for $10/yr.

4. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Where may I send a suggestion to the US government? I would like to suggest a law against this.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

/faceplam.

6. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I may try. I know it will probably end up not passing, but who knows?

7. ethical macrumors 68000

I thought there was something against this.

I seem to remember at the beginning of the Internet boom people registered all sorts of domains before large companies, and got a s*** load of money out of them. I'm sure I remember reading about something to prevent this happening further...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why, its called capitalism. They registered it first and they are choosing to sell it (for a profit).

Do what the rest of us have done, come up with a domain name that's unique and not registered.

9. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

This. He has legal rights to what he's already bought with his money. Unless you're a major corporation that can legally prove the seller is squatting with intention to get many dollars from said corporation, you're SOL.

Case in point: I owned a domain I used for my business about four years ago. The registrar bungled up my email when they established my account, so I never got a renewal notice email. The domain expired, and when I talked to them about it they said I had to pay $200 to re-instate the account just to update the email they got wrong in the first place, and then in the course of trying to deal with them they sold it to a third party who wanted $800 from me to buy it back. Needless to say, I simply changed the domain. In a completely, entirely unrelated note, don't touch iPowerWeb with a ten foot pole an always confirm your contact information.

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes like if a new company started with the name new world, and a person bought the domain newworld.com then they would be in trouble.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You might be better off contacting the local media, maybe trying to organize a march or rally, sort of a grassroots approach.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Um, no I think you misread my post...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if someone outside the US buys the domain.......?