Domains on a Home Server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ViViDboarder, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the best location here to post this question, if not I'll ask elsewhere.

I have a router that I have set up with DynDNS.org to have a special domain that I can remember. The issue is, I have a couple different servers on my network and I'm wondering if there is a way to set up multiple domains with this.

For example. Say I have: domain.dyndns.org already set to my routers global IP. Is it possible to use a home router to set up so comp1.domain.dyndns.org or domain.dyndns.org/comp1 would be the path to computer 1 on my network and then I could use a different domain for each computer?

If this is possible with a standard router, can you please tell me what this type of routing is called so I can look for the settings in my router config?

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You would need it setup to listen on different ports and have the router handle accordingly. By default web servers listen on port 80. You can setup multiple servers to listen on different ports. That's at least one option.

3. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, I thought about that. Setting one server to port 80 and then others to different ones. But it's a little hard to have someone go to domain.dyndns.org:85 for the address, haha. If it's my only choice I'll just go for it.

I think it's something to do with subdomains, but I'm not so sure how they work. I guess I'll have to read a Network+ book or something.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

To have a different domain on each computer will require a unique external IP for each computer. Routers can easily sort traffic from a range of IPs to the appropriate computers.
    Although it is technically possible to separate traffic based on domain name, it will require a full computer to decrypt the incoming requests and handle the dynamic load sharing. You would need some expensive software and hardware to do this.

5. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Ok. Thanks. I just wanted to see if it could be done. I guess I'll just rout things through one of my servers to the others on the right ports. Thanks!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It can be done as others have suggested but your ISP may detect it and start to charge you.