Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Hello,

At my home I have one iMac and one notebook PC. I use a linksys WRT54G to connect them to web.

I would like to make a domestic network...I would like to transfer files between my 2 computers. How can I do it? What are the steps?

Probably it is a dumb question...but I am really newbie! :(

Thank you.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You will need to turn on file sharing on the Mac and PC. On the Mac, System Preferences, Sharing, and then tick the box that says File Sharing.

Someone else will have to help you do the equivalent on a PC; I don't know how.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Yes, my network is working by WRT54G, but the computers are independent, no link between them!

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
You will need to turn on file sharing on the Mac and PC. On the Mac, System Preferences, Sharing, and then tick the box that says File Sharing.

Someone else will have to help you do the equivalent on a PC; I don't know how.

Do I just check the 'sharing files' option? Where I setup for allow just my PC share the files?

Thank you.

mamf

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, my network is working by WRT54G, but the computers are independent, no link between them!

Don't you have a unique IP addressing in place? DHCP or STATIC? What do you mean by "no link between them"? They've got to be physically connected -Ethernet or Wireless- or its not gonna work...

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Thats wahat I am trying to do...link them wireless to tranfer files!

I have a router linksys WRTG54.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
We are a bit confused. If you have the two computers talking to the SAME router, they should be able to see each other, and the steps given will work. If they are connected to a different router, then you have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.