Donate to get Third Party Apps on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by screensaver400, Sep 16, 2007.

1. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Looks like a changing of the guard, the iPhone brain trust with the true talent is moving on. They never asked for money (or pizza) for the iPhone.

There is not going to be near the motivation or the talent being applied to the iPod touch as there was for the iPhone.

2. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

I think you are missing the point - These are the same people that hacked the iPhone, however the difference lies in the fact that when they were hacking the iPhone, they wanted the device as much as anyone else. Now that the Touch is released, they already effectively have the same functionality on the iPhone they bought with their own money. The donations here are so that they can buy an iPod touch to hack it for us/you.

If you already had an iphone, would you be buying a touch just to please others?

3. screensaver400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you go on IRC, the people make it very clear that they're not doing this for donations, but for the "fun" of hacking. It's like picking a lock. They want to see if they can.

They say that, while they appreciate the tips (for pizza), it's more about the joy of exploration for them. The tips are secondary.

For those that are asking for iPod touches, right now they're having to relay their ideas to (less skilled) users who happen to own them. This is much slower than if they had an iPod touch themselves. But even though they don't, they still try to help.

It's not about money, it's about practicality.

4. isaac17 macrumors member

Strange. I always thought the ipod touch would have a bigger hacker base because so many more people will be able to get them without needing to bypass the whole 'at&t' deal, but maybe all the techies already jumped on board with hacked iphones so the itouches are left for the rest of us... what do I know

5. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

From iPhone Atlas:

"It looks like Apple has changed the encryption scheme for the iPod touch firmware file, meaning that a new method will need to be discovered for cracking this file, getting the appropriate software out and jailbreaking the iPod touch."

6. screensaver400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. It's also been speculated that the next iPhone software update may work the same way as the iPod touch currently does-- Which would add a ton of interest to discovering this scheme. Giving the hackers two different devices that have the same problem to compare will be very helpful.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Don't people hack these products for fun anyway? I shouldn't have to pay for his pizza.

8. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

Nobody's forcing you to, only giving you the option, in case you feel like supporting their efforts.

9. iShak macrumors 6502

I go out with my mates for 'fun', yet I pay for a round of drinks sometimes .. its upto you really. Consider it a token of appreciation or a gesture of gratitude for their efforts ...

also, it is not compulsory.