Donate to macrumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Meister, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

I just decided to donate to macrumors just to discover that this is only possible via paypal :mad:
    paypal didn't let me donate as usual ...
    isn't there a legit option like a credit card.
    paypal is really flaky and dubios.

2. Shrink, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The illegitimate, flaky, and dubious PayPal has something like 117 million suckers using their service.

Source

I'm not shilling for PayPal, but I'm curious, as one of those suckers, what is not "legitimate" and/or flaky and dubious about it, and why shouldn't MacRumors use it?

3. Meister, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

People use paypal for lack of alternatives.
    If 117 million suckers smoke crack then that doesnt mean that u should do it!

Paypal has constant legal trouble in different countries for their practices.
    (Blocking accounts, withholding funds, ...)
    Here in Gemany customer protection got several court orders against them and advices people not to use their services.

I dont use paypal much and only for very small payments sometimes. (For example macrumors 25$)
    Its very frustrating and only works like 20% of the time.
    The other 80% its either:
    "the payment could not be sent at the moment. Try a different payment method." or the account gets limited for no apparent reason.
    Then I have to call paypal as often as it takes to talk to a semi-conscious person to get it working again.
    This takes hours and is so frustrating that many times i just stop even pursuing the payment any further, like now with macrumors!

I didnt write that macrumors shouldnt use paypal at all.
    But they should give a credit card option so one can use a real bank.

4. Knighstalker macrumors regular

Knighstalker

I'd go with "traditional." "Legit" is just troll excrement. Here in the US we use it all the time with minimal problems. Quit whining and just donate!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Paypal is the only method we have to handle the subscription, and while you may not like that service, its one of the major online payment services. Many businesses use this, including brick and mortar at this point.

6. Meister, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Don't try to be smart.
    I can't donate because paypal doesn't allow me to.
    I called them and they said everything is fine with my account and I should wait a week!
    Last time they said this it took a year.
    With 'legit' i meant that they dont conduct business in a professionel transparent way like a normal bank.
    I am also upset cuz i tried to pay for a crucial ssd 480 via paypal. It wqs on sale until a few hours ago.
    Now i have to pay 80,- more :(

----------

I know many businesses use this. Its not a personal preference thing.
    I don't like or dislike paypal.
    It doesn't work most of the time!
    I really only use it sometimes and 4 out of 5 it doesn't work!
    Just google it.

Does anybody know the hotline for papal in the United States that is there on Sunday?

7. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Just wanted to add that now it lets me make other payments, but not to macrumors.
    Paypal confirmed this on the phone.
    Just wanted to let you know.
    Its your money after all ...

8. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

I am no fan of PayPal, myself, so i'm with you on that.

But this statement about banks conducting business in a professional and transparent way made me giggle.

9. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

:D :p
    Just tells you how bad paypal is if it seems shady even compared to the biggest crooks on the planet.
    But seriosly:
    no real bank would tell me that i cant do a transfer to someone and tell me that its because of "the system".
    And to wait a few weeks. Wtf?!
    Its not the first time they are doing this and it happens to a lot of people i know.
    Maybe i can send macrumors money through the mail :D

Just wanna add:

I am not trying to troll and i know this isnt a paypal forum, but i was told by a paypal representative that i can make payments, just not to macrumors. I just tried it and it seems to be true.
    The people running this page might wanna know this!

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can understand why some would prefer to have a more direct option, but the MacRumors membership system is triggered by PayPal transactions, so there's no option to completely bypass PayPal's services.

However, you don't need to have a PayPal account, or to use the account you have, since PayPal lets you pay with a credit card without logging into an account. This should get most people past most PayPal account problems, especially if you remove all web browser cookies for PayPal so the service doesn't recognize you and ask you to log into your account.

11. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Nice idea but the credit card payment is also processed by paypal.
    I get: "This credit card can not be used for this purchase."
    I was told on the phone that paypal blocks payments to macrumors.
    i am giving up at this point.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I wonder if it's something about PayPal in Germany that's at issue here.

B

13. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Very Possible. I didnt believe its macrumors fault.
    Only paypal knows and they dont give away information ...
    But paypal should work anywhere.
    Thats y i asked for a hotline number in the united states that works on sunday.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We'll look into the PayPal issue and see if we can straighten it out. In the meantime, don't worry about your inability to donate. You're already supporting the site by your participation, and there are other ways as well. See "How else can I support MacRumors.com?" in the FAQ.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Interestingly enough, just before reading this thread I renewed my subscription / Demi membership in MacRumors, and everything seemed to go through smoothly. I have the PayPal receipt, which arrived promptly in my email. I'm in the US, so maybe the issue indeed is with Germany?

16. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I am mostly pissed about paypal. I dont like it when i decide to do something and then i cant. for no reason.

----------

It probably is based in germany.
    I had this in the past, called the US paypal customer service and they fixed it immediately.
    German customer service is infamous around the globe.

Still no way for a bank to behave.

17. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

I had a problem making payments to CloudApp via PayPal just by using a credit card. I don't have a PayPal account and refuse to make one, so I had to just use it as a guest.

I am not sure what they did to fix the problem, because I can now use it without issue. But it actually ended up being a problem with my bank and not PayPal.

Each time I wanted to renew, I would have to attempt the transaction, have it decline me, then call my bank and have them allow the transaction and then go through the transaction again.

I think the last time I renewed here, I may have used my Father's PayPal account, because there was some issue with the CC. I can't recall though, since it was around a year ago.

18. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Tried again yesterday. Same thing. My paypal and credit card work fine for everything else.
    Kinda sad that they dont work for macrumors :(
    Won't pursue this any further now.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We found nothing wrong with our membership system, so it seems to be an unexplained PayPal policy issue. If anyone else runs into the problems that Meister encountered, please let us know.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Possibly not related at all, but it's potentially not related to Paypal. I'm in the US, and neither Paypal nor the Google Play store will let me use my debit card on anything with an overseas payment destination. Google Play for instance because they frequently process out of Ireland. I went through the pain and anguish of tracking this to the source, and it was actually my issuing bank blocking the authorizations as part of their fraud blocks..

I'm thinking the OP may be fine using PP other places but it's specific to MacRumors billing from another country than his own.

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

I agree that PayPal is 'legitimate' - but I stopped using them for my business because of the number of issues I had. They have a habit of making people wait months for money it owes those people, but they are lightening fast when scooping money that PayPal may, possibly, potentially, have a claim on. I wish there was a major competitor - it would help their customer service immensely.