Done broked my mac (bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maddcovv, Mar 7, 2008.

1. maddcovv macrumors newbie

I ran bootcamp , selected the partition size, inserted the disk and ran the XP setup, there was 1 partition, I formatted it and then found out it was my main partition… no osx no xp…

Now I’m trying to reinstall osx but it shows no locations so I went to disk utilities and tried to repair/restore/erase and the options are grayed out for all those options (top row works the bottom action buttons are gray) so I’m out of ideas…

2. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Wow, that sounds nasty. Were you sure to select the main drive in the list at the left? Sometimes it will have smaller sections listed below the main one and it won't let you do much unless you select the main drive

3. McGiord, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Isn't the Windows Installer able to write only to FAT32 or NTFS partitions? How can it write over MacOS partitions?
    ________
    buy vapor genie

4. maddcovv thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a total of 7 hours of OSX experience so I'm not sure how it happened my friends running MBPs said its cake... its a snap... :)

I select the drive and the disk0 on the left and neither is different. I ran Verify on it and it failed.

:(

5. McGiord, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Restart your Mac booting form your MacOSX disc, hold down the option key while it's booting, then use Disk Utility from it to repair your Hard Disk.
    Be sure to have all your data safe before doing it.
    If your friend have a Mac also, you can also start your mac in Target Disk mode, you do this by holding the T key while your mac is booting, by doing this with a firewire cable connect both macs, and you can access your Mac's Hard Disk at your friend's mac like if it is an external Hard Disk, you can copy your important documents, back it up or try to repair it also.
    ________
    Toyota Corolla E30 history

6. maddcovv thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got it today so nothings lost, I'll try the option boot thing.

7. christopher3071 macrumors regular

He tried disc utilities already though,(he's already booted from the install disk if he's attempted to install) otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. If you have access to a friend's computer, you can get info off the disc, BUT he said he's already formatted it... So what data would there be to recover? It's now blank.

8. maddcovv thread starter macrumors newbie

I think what I need to do is figure out if theres a way to make the NTFS drive formatted to a macOS drive ... Disk utility isn't helping.

9. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Yea, I'd say that's a good start. I don't know much about it, but that definitely sounds right. Obviously must be done before you can install OS X

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

did you read and print out the documentation. you install windows on the C: drive which is labelled "<BOOTCAMP>".

boot into install disc 1 by holding C on startup and use Disk Utility in the installer to format your hard drive. its in the Utilities menu in the isntaller.

11. mattcleary macrumors newbie

He's saying that the disc utilities are all grayed out... Sounds like the drive is flat out not being seen by the mac. is there a boot disc (possibly outside of the os x disc) he can try to get the drive back into a usable state?

12. christopher3071 macrumors regular

He said there was only one partition after using boot camp utility. My guess is that it didn't create the boot camp partition correctly and has fudged the drive somehow so it can't be read by the mac