Done school, looking for desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Apr 17, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

might go for the new iMac with 9400m

how is the 9400m in terms of performance? is it smooth? its not dedicated gfx is it?

and how is the display on the 20"? Will it strain my eyes like it does on the unibody macbooks? thanks

looking to buy the new 20" imac soon!

i wish the keyboard keys were black instead of white BTW

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The 9400m is ok. Don't expect to play any crazy games like crysis. But it can pull off some decent frame rates in games like Counter strike source.. and most other games from the past while.
    It is not dedicated, and I believe it is the exact same as the one in the macbooks.

3. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

argh
    sounds like a move by apple to make profit ah well....
    i can expect it to run cool at least right? hows the display on the new imac 20"

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was in the same boat as you with questions on the 9400M graphics...

I decided to get a previous gen 20" iMac with the 2400XT ATI card... depending on the rating site the 9400 and the 2400 seem to be rated pretty close performance wise.

I decided that the $215 I saved on the prev gen model (NIB) would be best spent getting myself a 4GB RAM upgrade and an external 1 TB HDD and still have $$ left over compared to the price of the current gen model.

5. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

and how do u like ur imac so far?

i rather get the current model still
    i heard there is an improvement in teh display

plus i get a discount from my employer

$1270CAD before taxes for the new imac 20"

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

To dive a little deep into your display-specific questions....
    There are several types of LCD Panels. To simplify, there are 3 basic types. TN, IPS and PVA/MVA panels.

TN are basic, consumer grade, panels. There is varying quality of TN panel, but you'll never get the viewing angles and color reproduction that IPS or PVA/MVA panels offer. For a detailed breakdown of the panels, check out http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

Each of these have their caveats. I personally prefer IPS panels for their overall color accuracy and viewing angles. They tend to be more expensive pannels which is why Apple uses them in the 24" iMacs and above.

The 20" panel that Apple uses in the iMac is a TN panel. 20"WS LG.Display TN Film (LM201WE3)

The 24" (and other cinema displays apple has) typically use 24"WS LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU2-(SL)(B1)) panels.

7. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

good post however I still tend to beleive the new imac 20" lcd displays are a tad higher quality even if it still a TN panel

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'll be setting it up today after a BBQ I'm having with some friends...

Again, it was a price thing from prev to current models and this is my "first" mac product...surely didn't want a mini to experiment on and my other consideration was a current gen whitebook for $949 but decided the larger display was the way to go since I had the two small note/net books in my signature...

9. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

10. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

spoke to an apple rep today
    got a one time deal for $1227CAD (before taxes) but i didnt take it...

11. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

12. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You probably should have.

14. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

don't need it urgently i can try to wait till snow leopard or till these imacs are available in the refurbished store but will definitely get the imac in the upcoming months

15. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

sooo... why don't you post about it then instead of bumping this pointless thread over and over?

16. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

17. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I actually think it is a smart idea to hold off on purchasing a new computer right now - it is a great time to buy used, refurbished, or clearance last gen stuff but we are right around the corner from some CPU/chip set upgrades, new OS's, and who knows what else is waiting in the wings. If you are keeping a computer for 3-5 years it is a mistake to purchase one 6 months prior to these types of updates.

Granted if you have a need then by all means make a purchase, but if you can function with what you have you are better off waiting.