Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Hahaha, they won't brick them. But they'll force a restore and you'll be screwed.
So either way... probably a terrible decision to do this unlock right now when the update that is said to break it is coming in less than 3 days.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
With the new firmware.
If you had a hacked phone when firmware 1.0.2 came out, it made you restore.

And your point is? New firmware doesn't have to be installed; hell, I left my nano at 1.0.1 when 1.1.3 had been out for about three months. All the OP has to do is wait until the next iPhone firmware's been hacked before installing.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
How do you cope without MMS or reasonable data rates on the move? Where i live there's hardly any public wifi points so the iphone is totally unusable to me.

i'll stick to getting the Nokia N95 Black with over the air music store :p

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Hahaha, they won't brick them. But they'll force a restore and you'll be screwed.
So either way... probably a terrible decision to do this unlock right now when the update that is said to break it is coming in less than 3 days.

What are you talking about? Doing the unlock BEFORE the new firmware (1.1.1) is out is the right thing to do. The unlock uses an exploit in 1.0.2 to be able to update the baseband, with 1.1.1 this exploit will be closed. So you won't be able to unlock the phone for god knows how long, until the dev team finds a new exploit.

gormond

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
What are you talking about? Doing the unlock BEFORE the new firmware (1.1.1) is out is the right thing to do. The unlock uses an exploit in 1.0.2 to be able to update the baseband, with 1.1.1 this exploit will be closed. So you won't be able to unlock the phone for god knows how long, until the dev team finds a new exploit.

How do you know it the right thing to do? for all you know installing the new update on a unlocked phone corrupts the firmware and make the phone useless.

gormond

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
i'll stick to getting the Nokia N95 Black with over the air music store :p

Problem I have with the Nokia N95 is apart from imo ugly design it has a rather small 2.6 inch screen, which is 35% smaller than the iPhone and doesn't have a full querty keyboard which would make typing a email slow unless your a quick thumbed teenager.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
The problem I have with the Nokia N95 is the shockingly bad battery life. They claim 1 day standby and 2 hours talk time. :eek:
Going off past experience that means carrying a charger around with you constantly or having a spare battery.
That combined with the small screen, tiny keyboard, large size and fugly looks really just don't do it for me.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
I would imagine that is with Bluetooth off.

Update.

Interesting. The figures I quoted earlier are from Orange. Nokia themselves claim a longer life.
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4344017

Power Management

* Battery: Nokia Battery (BL-5F) 950mAH
* Talk time: up to 160min (WCDMA), up to 240 min (GSM)*
* Stand-by time: up to 200 hours (WCDMA), up to 225 hours (GSM)

* Operation times may vary depending on radio access technology used, operator network configuration and usage.

That means talk time of 2 hours 40 mins on 3G or 4 hours on 2G and standby of 8 or 9 days.
That is a massive discrepancy between Orange and Nokia.

gormond

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I would imagine that is with Bluetooth off.

Considering I use a bluetooth headset that would make the N95 almost unusable for me as a everyday phone.

Of coarse I heard that the iPhone which has iPod functionality doesn't support Stereo Bluetooth which if true just seems crazy, Not enough to put me off it but irritating none the less.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
I've given up trying to get YouTube to work now matter which hack i try i never get anywhere.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
:confused: Looks like the info on the Orange website is either wrong or they have done their own testing. T-Mobile, O2 and Vodafone all more or less agree with Nokia's figures.

gormond

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
:confused: Looks like the info on the Orange website is either wrong or they have done their own testing. T-Mobile, O2 and Vodafone all more or less agree with Nokia's figures.

Having used Nokia phones in the past i wouldn't go with there figures lol

Anyone with a N95 who has tested the talk time ?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I've given up trying to get YouTube to work now matter which hack i try i never get anywhere.

Go to the hackint0sh iPhone forum and find the famous 3-youtube-files thread. You will need to replace the files in your lockdown/ with them, and edit an additional file in activation_records/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.