Dongle Q - Logic & Cubase

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by pulsewidth947, Aug 14, 2007.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

We've just been bought 19 iMacs for a sequencing room at the College where I work, and we've asked for Logic Pro and Cubase Studio. Both have dongles but is there anyway you can use 1 dongle for both software packages? I ask because we struggled to lock just 1 dongle away from thieving student hands!

2. Bow Rekk macrumors member

3. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

Unfortunately Not

The iLok Bow Rekk refers to is fine for storing multiple 3rd party authorisations from many different developers, however, both Logic's and Cubase's dongle authorisations are non-transferable. You have to have the actual dongle for that DAW plugged in all the time you are using it.

It is possible to attach the dongles to your computer with one of those little wire lock thingies... http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-64053-MicroSaver-Retractable-Portable/dp/B0002H0CQI

Another option, for logic at least, would be to use Logic Express instead of pro as this is just authorised using a serial number so there is nothing for the little blighters to get their thieving mitts on. You could always have a couple of logic pro dongles locked away for those that need the extra features.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

At the college I went to, none of the iMacs running Logic Pro had physical dongles in, but I understood that they were plugged in remotely, either through the network or via a USB hub (not sure which - I didn't look into it too much).

Would something like that be viable here?

5. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Thanks for your replies. What we've done is made a box for the cubase dongle and physically screwed it down :)

We just found out that our tutor is happy using Logic Express so we have cancelled our order for Logic Pro and replaced it with an order for a load of Mbox Minis. That way we can have Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools on each computer. Bonus!