Donglegate on MBP 15 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinetic, Jul 11, 2017.

1. cinetic macrumors newbie

So on Amazon (and other sites) if you look closely at many of the USB C to HDMI/DVI/Mini DVI adapters you will see "Does not work with MacBook Pro 2017". What are our "go-to" adapters for the new MBPs?

I need to connect to mini-DVI male (not HDMI because I don't want sound or funny video resolutions - 720/1080), and also some USB sometimes. Ideally, there would be a cute little hub that I can tote around with me which could provide this support.

The struggle is real with the lack of ports though! And this keyboard is SO LOUD! Clack, clack, clacCK...

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Not quite sure that the need to use ports and cables constitutes a scandal but okay...

It's say does not work with 15" due to charging port. If you read a little harder you'll probably note the 15" requires 87w of power, and most of those cheap, cute little hubs you're probably looking at are USB-C and around $50. They do like 30w.

so everything else will work except charge through. Look at a TB3 hub if you want something a little less scandaly.

3. Sterkenburg macrumors regular

I'm currently using this adapter: https://satechi.net/collections/usb...num-multi-port-adapter-4k?variant=27067045065. Somewhat on the expensive side, but has every port I need and fits in a pocket. There are endless variations to fit your specific port needs (e.g. DVI or whatever instead of HDMI).

The only caveat with these little hubs, as hinted in the post above, is that they might not support some stuff like 5K/4K@60Hz output or full power charging. But resolutions up to 1080p won't be a problem, and as for charging, well, the original power adapter cable is USB-C, so just plug it in directly. The reason why they include a charging port in USB-C hubs is the 12" rMB, which has only one port, but that's not an issue for MBPs.

4. killawat macrumors 65816

You seriously need mini DVI? In 2017? Why? That's incredibly specific use case and you won't find anything to accommodate you.

I'm 99% sure the only things you are going to be able to connect to a mini DVI port are Apple's adapters for DVI/VGA/Composite and a couple of HDMI adapters by third parties.

5. cinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I run meetings daily in conference rooms with HDMI (don't want to go into system preferences to disable sound every time, and the 720 or 1080 res is limiting), or Mini DVI which has none of the problems of HDMI in my use case. But yeah, I'll have to find a third party dongle (queue the laugh track) and 99% say does not work with MBP 2017.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Why not DisplayPort or DVI? The USB-C to HDMI cable I have is rated for 4K 60Hz, why are yours outputting 1080? Or just muting the machine? HDMI was never meant for computers anyway, has no retention and is a terrible connector. Should have stayed on TVs!

Mini DVI was never a big thing as DP filled that need. So if the device you're hooking the notebook up to has mini DVI, it's probably better to modernise that or buy a simple mini/full-size DVI adapter and plug it in. Rather than hampering your search efforts. It'll be like trying to sort a serial connector out for that old printer, instead of just upgrading.