Dongles, dongles, DONGLES! Do I have enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lotzosushi, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

So I took a leap and sold my mid-2015 rMBP and pre-ordered the new 15" MBP with touch bar. I've got tons of accessories and peripherals that I need to connect to it....so naturally I went crazy on Amazon and ended up with this mound of extra dongles/adapters/cables. See what you've made us do Apple? This isn't right for a pro machine. And to charge extra while not including a single adapter as well as taking away the extension cable is ridiculous...

So now I've got:

• Apple USB-C to USB adapter
    • Apple USB-C to lightning cable
    • Griffin BreakSafe/MagSafe USB-C power cable
    • Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 USB standard type-A/type-C flash drive
    • USB-C to displayport cable for my 4K monitor
    • Ravpower 2m certified USB-C Quick Charge Cable
    • Anker 5in USB-A to USB-C adapter
    • 2x USB-C to Micro-B cables for external drives
    • USB-C MicroSD reader
    • Dongle with HDMI, 3 USB-A and SD card reader
    • Dongle with ethernet and 3 USB-A
    • Dongle with 3 USB-A and USB-C in/out
    • Dongle with 2 USB-A, MicroSD reader, thunderbolt 2 and USB-C in/out

The insanity!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

Wow, thank god i only needed the USB-c to USB-A dongle. Don't use anything else and after i get some USB-C Thumbdrives and External HDD's i wont needs any dongles.

3. lotzosushi thread starter macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Yeah, my existing USB 3 portable, desktop and RAID drives as well as MicroSD/SD cards are most important since I use them on a daily basis. The dongles are mostly extra for random occasions where I do need them. :(

4. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

You forgot the best/most useful: CalDigit USB-C hub. A wonderful companion for any 2016+ Mac.

5. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i have that iclever hub (3 usb 3 ports, and a usb C to carry power), it's great. that, and a tiny usb3>C adapter... and all is well.

are you really going to use all of those things? or are you just covering all the bases?

7. lotzosushi thread starter macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

I saw that, but I'm always on the go and having individual smaller more portable adapters lets me take them everywhere instead of bringing a big bulky hub that needs to be plugged into an outlet. Maybe I'll consider it when they're not $150 too lol
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Yes mostly covering bases, but it just seems like a lot at first but most of those won't need to be removed or constantly swapped.

8. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Well, I don't see how it is Apple's fault that you went completely overboard with all this. How many USB-C to USB-A adaptors/dongles can one possibly need?

And rather than investing all this money in adapters to connect your legacy accessories into - you would have been better off replacing your USB-A accessories with USB-C ones.. or better yet - go wireless.

I have been using rMB 12" for 1.5 years now, and I basically don't use any dongles or adapters. Other than USB-C to Ethernet adapter for an occasional need to connect to wired network - I am either completely wireless or connect to my USB-C monitor, which also acts as a hub.

9. lotzosushi thread starter macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

I wasn't blaming apple or complaining really... just surprised at how many new things I needed to adapt to this major transition. I have like 30TB worth of external drives and RAID I'm not really going to go out and buy all new ones just to comply with USB-C. That's why I have a few USB-A/Micro-B type cables that will replace my existing USB3 cables. MicroSD/SD cards I use on a daily basis, there's no way getting around that without an adapter. iPhone cables when I need to back up/restore on occasion, don't tell me to back up or transfer several GB of data on a 256GB iPhone with wireless lol.

Most of the big dongle/adapters I won't need all the time, only in certain situations. But I travel and work at a lot of different places where others might not be USB-C equipped so I do in fact need to be ready for that.

10. kb3tzt macrumors member

kb3tzt

wow.....

i ave a 2015 macbook with only 1 usb-c port ad i didnt go all crazy like that. was going to, but i didnt. for home, im getting a multi port hub with hdmi and usb-c charging. it will have enough ports to connect my multi disk docking station for redundant photo back ups, my ducky keyboard.. never gonna give that up and my monitor. on the go, ill use apples multi port adapter with usb-c charge through, hdmi port and 1 usb. i do pro photo shoots and photo editing, so im nuts about backing up the back ups back ups. as for backing up my phone, well thats why i wont go ios. need a memory card, as i do use my phone for photo shoots, so all i need to do is pop out the micro sd and im good im go. 10+ tb of data and going strong...lol. good luck with the adapters, as seeing all that gives me one big headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.