Dongles... Dongles EVERYWHERE!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yoshimura, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Yoshimura, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

Yoshimura macrumors regular

One simple cable and everything is connected!!!

Power, Monitor, Ethernet, Audio, Keyboard, Mouse, External Drive, USB Hubs...

As an added bonus, I can now simply leave the original charger in the bag. :)

[​IMG]

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

3. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

You aren't sure if he likes being able to plug everything into his computer with a single cable?

4. cmaier macrumors G3

I want to know how many more "dongle" threads we need.

5. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Looks like an unofficial endorsement for the "Plugable" USB-C hub.

7. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Yeah Cool! - Just a $200 piece of equipment, and your $2400 computer does the same thing as the previous version!

Huzzah!

8. Yoshimura thread starter macrumors regular

Before routing all the cables under my desk, I want to make sure everything works well. :)

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

How much does a second Magsafe charger cost? And then you still have to make several connections each and every time you sit down at your desk. I can afford an extra $120 or so over the course of the lifespan of a $2400 laptop to give me the convenience of not having to do that a couple of times every day.

10. Yoshimura, Nov 30, 2016

Yoshimura thread starter macrumors regular

Not exactly, because of all those connections, a laptop was not really an option. So I had a Mac mini. I can't imagine deconnecting/reconnecting all those cables every time I wanted to move it.

Not $200... Just $137 from Amazon. And you can then use your original charger as a second charger.

[​IMG]

11. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

At this point, we should change it to the dMBP.

Whether you agree or not, the dongles have been the defining aspect of this MBP. The touch bar is just an afterthought to the dongle.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

having owned one now for two weeks, and having used only one adapter (a $4.00 USB-A to USB-C converter that I've used with a thumb drive and with a bus-powered blu-ray drive that I'm too lazy to buy a new cable for), I vehemently disagree that "dongles" have in any way defined my user experience. I replaced the cable for an external hard disk I use for backups, replaced my lightning cable with a USB-C version, and all is good.

13. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Oh great another pro dongles thread as if the others weren't enough

14. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I like how on this forum people went from : "WHAT THE !@# ?? DONGLES? THIS IS SO STUPID" to "I LOVE DOCKS AND DONGLES! IT'S SO MUCH EASIER!"

Keep it up! Apple will always do whatever they want with it's customers and devices because the "blind support" will always be there.

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

16. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

How did the previous version connect every peripheral to your computer through a single cable (including charging your device) without buying an extra piece of equipment? Even the thunderbolt hubs you could use on the previous version wouldn't charge your computer. How did you get this to work?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    What is the problem with liking the ability to use a hub to connect everything at your desk to your laptop via a single cable?

17. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

That's sarcasm.

18. Yoshimura, Nov 30, 2016

Yoshimura thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    In fact, it's a dock.
    How should I not to be happy when I can replace 8 connections by a single one?

19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Well, two points. Others may be feeling dongle pain (haha, that sound so wrong) more so than you.

And my original point wasn't really that dongles are defining the user experience, but defining this MBP release. It's above and beyond the most posted/blogged/reviewed/etc. part of the new MBP. The touch bar gets mentioned as a blip, and the dongle thing has completely taken over.

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I agree on value over the long run. My thing is a lot of people buy laptops to use at home. While many of us have desktops at home and laptops to be... mobile or compliment our desktops.

While that's a nice all in for stationary. If you want to do anything outside of your home other than charge you will still need at least one dongle.

21. Macalway macrumors 68020

22. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

It looks like a desktop PC nest from 15 years ago... that Apple (rightly) mocked.

23. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

That is pretty cool. I love only having to plug in a single cable. I may snag one for my wife who works on my "old" 2016 12" MacBook and likes to use an external Monitor and KB and Mouse. And, bonus, that's a decent price.

24. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Actually, it just means you now have 9 connections, and a hub to carry...

25. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Interesting, I come from the same setup. When travelling, I use an acer laptop and take wirh me several dongles since I need to attach it to different presentation systems. So moving to the new macbook will be an improvement for me as I will reduce my two computers to one, while not reducing in convenience, as I am already used to dongles when travelling: I put all of them - including those for the iPad - in a sunglasses case and that's it.

Only issue: I need firewire on my desk, as well. Is yours including a firewire port?