Dont ask me if I 'REALLY' want to delete!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ukuleleman, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ukuleleman macrumors member

OK, I admit to being a grumpy old man, but if I try to delete something it's because, surprise surprise, I want to bloody well delete it, why oh why does my Mac pro assume that I have made a mistake?

Are you listening Apple? it's not me that made the mistake, I have at least 50% of my brain cells working, it's somebody in your sodding office, one of your highly paid programmers who thought it might be a good idea to double check that the rest of us are as barmy as he is!

How would it be if I came down to your place and stood in the doorway and asked everybody who tried to get in if they were really sure that they wanted to open the door? that would go down really well I think, particularly during fire drills!

Yes I am 100% F..........g sure, I want to delete. please don't ask.

What next? 'Are you really sure you want to pull that parachute rip cord?'

'Well, since I'm heading towards the ground at terminal velocity I think it might be' ...splat!!!!!

SEE WHAT DAMAGE YOU CAN DO?!!!!!!!!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you considered anger management classes?

[​IMG]

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I never get a warning about deleting stuff, just about emptying the trash. You can turn that off in Finder by clicking on "Preferences" in Finder then on the Advanced tab check off the "Show warning before emptying the Trash".

Unless you're talking about something else.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I bet the OP would be the first to complain if they deleted something and they hadn't been asked to confirmation...

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I guess Apple could've had this message come up:

"Do you want to delete? We know you're probably smart and really want to delete, but there are those idiots out there (not you, of course) that delete things and really didn't want to, so we stuck this stupid message in there for them (not you). Please forgive us. Anyway, do you want to delete?"

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Have a pint and settle down
    2) As many times as thet prompt has pissed you off, it has saved the bacon of some distracted fool who almost deleted his/her most important document ever.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

He should be introduced to the people in the "why can't I delete select items in the trashcan like Windows lets me do because I don't always want to throw away things I put in the trash" thread

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Which is why I use a script to do just that. :)

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I believe Cmd-option-delete will delete a file without nagging.

cmd-shift-opt-delete empties the trash without nagging.

10. ukuleleman thread starter macrumors member

Ah yes, the old 'Let's gang up the OP' reaction.

I might have known it, 'Anger management classes', 'You wouldn't say that if you were as dumb as I am' group, 'Somebody else would have lost his life or his wife if it hadn't have been for that warning'! what's up with you guys? don't you recognise sarcasm when you see it, do you even know what it means?

Whilst you are getting your dictionaries out think about this, did I or did I not get an answer to my problem by the use of a different approach to the norm, yes I did, so why don't you all calm down and thanks to the guys who solved it for me.:D

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sarcasm is quite evident in print form :rolleyes:

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think you got an answer to your problem in spite of the different approach.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Lighten up, Francis.

Since sarcasm cannot be reliably detected in simple text—lacking inflection and body language cues—the replies you received were to be expected by anybody with more than a passing familiarity with internet forums.

If you were trying to honestly receive an answer, then just post a question. If you want to rant, then rant, but don't be surprised at the responses that treat you like you're having a tantrum.

If you'd like to ensure that those of us that are sarcasm-challenged don't miss your particular flavoring of verbiage, then adding dummy tags, such as [/sarcasm] help.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

That's why putting sarcasm in blue was such a good idea

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Genius idea!!

17. ukuleleman thread starter macrumors member

Sarcasm

Are you guys completely devoid of a sense of humor, don't turn this into an international incident.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

No, but your posts seem to be
    ;)

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I have an exceptional sense of humor, when there's humor to be sensed. :cool:

And you're too late, these forums are the longest-running international incident on the intertubes. ;)