Dont ask Questions about Sling Player App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Satellitecentra, May 5, 2010.

1. Satellitecentra macrumors newbie

I have had my 32 gig wifi iPad for a couple of weeks now and i,m extremely happy with it everything works well , no issues at all.
    So , I also use a Sling Box , I trot on over to the Sling Media Forums to simply ask
    "When is the iPad app due, or If i install the iPhone app in the mean time for $29.99 will i get a free upgrade to the iPad app when it comes out"

Seems I an a few other people Upset Sling , and they got all pissy, lol

got told off for SPECULATING , and the thread got locked , and now mysteriously its not available any more ?

This is what we got emailed

"Hello again everyone,

Thanks again for the feedback. Looking at a few replies above, it would appear that some of you haven't read the House Rules. We do not comment on unannounced or unreleased products, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site. Please take a look:

http://answers.slingbox.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/1133/450-181/house_rules.jpg

The fourth bullet point is pretty clear. The pricing structure for SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad is unannounced. Moving on...

We are excited to announce that very soon, we will have Enhancement Request communities here within the forums where customers can post their wishlists and appeals for functionality. This will allow the entire community to share their thoughts with Sling and each other, while still keeping things focused on the technical.

Hope that helps! Note that the forums are as useful as you want to make them - let's keep it positive, people.

Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team "

Way to go there Sling !
    Love the Warm an Fuzzy Feel you guys give out over there .

Dident mean to annoy them , just asked a simple question ?

2. phishindsn macrumors regular

So you didn't follow there forums rules...whats with the post. It's their forum, they set the rules. You don't like it or disagree, don't buy there product.

3. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

4. Satellitecentra thread starter macrumors newbie

lol
    yeah GUILTY as charged
    dident spend the time to read the rules :D
    My Bad

just though a quick question , an an answer
    oh well , lives an learns :D

you guys are much nicer

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

HA! Stick around a bit, and you'll soon find that's not true at all. :D

6. Satellitecentra thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL !
    Ah hell, its all in good fun :D

Just saved myself $29.99 , I can spend on a USB Camera Kit

7. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I don't have an issue with them setting rules. Just like I don't have an issue with not spending my money on a product when their employees act like a holes. :)

8. Satellitecentra thread starter macrumors newbie

Very First App I bought and installed
    Just Brilliant
    Cant say enough good things about it.
    :):):)

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah the sling website is a little screwed up. they actually completely got rid of the forum and switched to that "support site". sling is sooooo slow on development. people have been begging for an android sling app for like 2 years. they dont care. refuse to comment on it and never give updates.

10. emaja macrumors 68000

The first rule about Sling Player App is not to talk about Sling Player App.

11. Satellitecentra thread starter macrumors newbie

Pity really,
    I liked the sling,
    Oh well , moves on , looks for alternative product
    I,m sure there are some out there :)

12. Satellitecentra thread starter macrumors newbie

13. jejagua macrumors member

Sling / Dish are pretty douchey overall. I've bought their mobile apps for four or five platforms (usually @ $30 a pop) plus the price of my Slingbox Solo, which they've basically obsoleted. Now the rumor is they will only support the newer hardware on the iPad, oh and fleece you for another $30, plus the price of compatible hardware. They "unoffically" supported the older HW on the iPhone version after an enormous backlash. Maybe they'll do the same for the iPad, but doubtful.

14. biosci macrumors 6502a

Besides the HD one, all their new stuff isn't even for the general public! It's only for satellite companies and or cable companies so you can't even get it direct from them I believe.

15. ctakim macrumors 6502

Thank you Mr. Durden!!:)

16. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Actually, rules or no rules, IMO that's not an appropriate response.

How is asking whether someone who buys the iPhone app today will get a free upgrade to the iPad version "speculation"? It's a question. It should not be difficult to answer, and it's a data point that is pretty close to necessary before an iPad owner would logically consider buying the product.

I just lost quite a bit of respect for Sling and am less likely to investigate them further due to this. I had considered buying a Slingbox and the app, but if that's the kind of customer service they offer, forget it.

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You guys are way too sensitive. The response did not seem out of line. They don't talk about unannounced products, why get so upset over it?

18. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Don't get me started on Sling Media :D

I have all sorts of streaming problems lately and so have a lot of other folks. They are not a helpful company.....

http://answers.slingbox.com/thread/1318?tstart=0

P.S. One needs to be logged in to view this thread

19. John Paul macrumors member

But a question of whether those who buy a currently-existing app (in this case, the app for the iPhone) would get a free upgrade if they produce an iPad app is a very legitimate one if you ask me. Yes it deals with an as-yet unannounced app, but it also deals directly with a currently-existing app. People who have already paid, or are considering paying, for their iPhone app have a right to know what the upgrade policy is. If the devs didn't want to say anything explicit about an iPad version of the app, fine. But rather than locking & deleting the thread, a much more reasonable & rational response would to post a generic comment on the upgrade policy for their apps and leave it at that.

Sling has every right to create whatever rules for their forums they want. However, bad forum policies does nothing but leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths, creates bad PR, and bad PR ultimately hurts your business and results in fewer sales. Pissing off current (or potential future) customers is bad business. They should know better than to respond how they did.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah im beginning to not be a fan of sling. they take entirely too long to release app updates. also, I went on a road trip and brought my laptop so I could watch the slingbox on something else besides my phone (this was before the ipad came out). I had never used the sling player on my laptop before I left. (macbook with tiger) I went to slings website to watch my slingbox. I log in and the only message on the screen is "upgrade your operating system this OS is not supported by slingmedia". not a hint of it being possible. I had to find an Older download version of the sling player for mac on a 3rd party site and it worked FINE.

So not to hijack the thread but what are the alternatives that offer sling funcionality? Seriously thinking about selling my solo and moving on.

21. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I wonder if they're trying to emulate Apple's secrecy schtick and not realizing they're not nearly big enough to pull it off.

22. David R macrumors 6502

And don't you dare ask a question about the hardware. I installed their latest firmware and client app and the box would just reboot constantly and I could never connect. They refused any type of assistance, and this was sortly after I had purchased their product, not even 6 months.

I gave up on their company and anything else they will ever offer.

Stay away from them.