Don't be afraid to Upgrade to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Aug 26, 2009.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There's too much skepticism and ill-will so I am hoping to counter that. Don't be afraid, some things might not work perfectly. But there's little to fear.

I'm looking forward to my copy of Mac OS 10.6 to arrive!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Me too. I've weathered every 10.X.0 of OS X, there's always a couple of hiccups, but nothing show stopping.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

You're countering skepticism by telling people that things won't work? :p

I do understand what you're trying to say, but for many people ".0 hiccups" and/or not knowing for sure if the applications they've bought previously will work is simply not acceptable. But thanks to people like you, we'll soon have updates and reports to fall back on.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm not going to say all your apps will work 100%. Rather there's no reason to think the sky is falling.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'm going to be getting it Friday, my MBP I got in April's my first Mac so not had the experience of early OSX adoption yet, looking forward to it, I'm a geek and like new things :D

6. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Indeed, no need to let FUD rule your mind (and your machine)--I've been using OS 10.6 since the 10A380 beta and everything is fine. I exclusively run the real (x64) kernel on my MBP (early 2008 penryn) with nary a hiccup. I even run Photoshop CS3--which, Adobe curiously claims, 'will not work'--and it is absolutely fine.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This thread is good :D

I can't wait to get Snow Leopard, I can't understand why people are throwing up a fuss and saying that Snow Leopard isn't worth it, it's £25 for christs sake, it's easily worth it for the performance upgrades, and even if you don't see ALL the upgrades, for the other features, it's still worth it...

I wish people would stop whining, MR seems to be increasingly turning into a 15 year olds virtual playground, where at every opportunity, there will be a complaint made.

It's why I mainly stick to the community boards, much friendlier people there :D

8. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

As long as Safari and iTunes works...I'll be happy. :D

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

This post, combined with your thread title, made me think of a reassuring voice of reason, and it made me chuckle. Especially when that voice of reason is Morgan Freeman. :D

[​IMG]

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Me not installing until I know the apps I use work does not equal "the sky is falling."

If I install and something I really need doesn't work - then I'm looking pretty stupid.

11. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

So you haven't actually used 10.6 at all? Weird reassurance then.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was thinking the same:cool:

move from an os where all apps work to one where they may not sounds like a great idea.

13. MBX macrumors 65816

I don't get it, isn't SL supposed to fix bugs and make the machine faster and not give us more bugs and being more unstable?

Will probably be fine but maybe some people might encounter issues here and there.

14. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's not that weird considering I've installed all other major versions of OS X within a few days/weeks of it being released and nothing bad happening. Nor have I heard of anyone have any problems with this approach (all people I know, not on MR). It's a fair approach for making the prediction that I have made.

15. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

I cant wait for Snow Leopard

Im ordering my first ever iMac on Saturday
    (24" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory, Upgraded to 1TB Hard Drive)

My job requires me to work on a Leopard (Which i love) Im an Ad Designer so im constantly running all CS4, Mainly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.

My yearly goal to own an iMac as i fell in love with it. its 5 days until my first full year at this job and looks like i will succeed in my task.

SL for me looks fantastic, the overall speed i think impresses me the most.
    Read on Adobe website yesterday that all CS4 app's WILL work with Snow Leopard so im fully onboard.

Will do a clean install immediately as soon as i get my iMac via drop in disk.

SO SO EXCITED! Cant wait.

16. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Good for you. :)

For my part, I'll run out and get SL tomorrow, because I just can't help it. At the same time I'll advise family and friends to ideally wait at least a few more months. In this case 'Do as I Say (Not as I Do)' applies.

17. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

I was going to wait and upgrade to Leopard first (on Tiger at the moment), but I just saw that Leopard is no longer available on the online Apple Store:eek:

my uncle business is an authorised Apple reseller - will Apple still make Leopard available to a business like his?:(

18. ata macrumors member

People have been reporting that that the $29 (supposed) Leopard upgrade also works on Tiger. So you won't need to upgrade to Leopard first.

19. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

I want to get iLife '09 as soon as I can. and SL seems to have some glitches. I know Apple is already on the case but I'm not great dealing with bugs, etc.