Dont be an early adopter of the 128ssd.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dinaluvsApple, Oct 17, 2008.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

Ok people, save that $600 because this christmas, all the electronics manufacturers will drop their prices 50%-70% because of the market downturn. there have been news reports of tv manufacturers and market analyst predicting a huge drop in lcd and plasma tv's, and computers wont be far behind.

on top of that the ssd 128 used in the apple are very slow compared to the intel drives.

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Yeah that's right, Apple will be knocking 70% off the SSD drives...:rolleyes:

3. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be so sure about this price drop. And do you know already what SSD Apple offers? I've been waiting for that information.

4. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

not the intel one, its samsung.
    also, im not refering to apple dropping ssd prices.
    im talking about places like newegg or ncix.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think the OP is referring to installing his own SSD drive that has been bought from somewhere else.

if that is the case, in regards to the 50%-70% drop then that is pretty darn awsome!!

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Apple might do a more modest drop at some point in this model's life cycle (as they've been known to do with the MacBook Air mid-life) on the SSD, but the OP makes a good point and is echoing what I've been thinking myself. With drive upgrades being so straightforward on the new models (which it always was on the regular MB, but I'm a longtime MB Pro user who's considering moving back down to the consumer line), it makes sense to wait a while and watch the aftermarket SSD's drop in price, then do a manual upgrade when the price point is more reasonable. Unless someone just absolutely must have the SSD option right now--which I just can't imagine being the case--why wouldn't they want to save a little money?

7. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Stop the presses, computer component prices will go down in the future!!!!!!!!! Nobody buy anything!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

8. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

sigh....this is not ur typical price drop, this year especially with the recession(yes i used the r word) retailers need to get people out shopping,its gonna be a substantial drop in prices.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would be wonderful!!

got any evidence or anything? have you done any research into it? or is it just a guess?

10. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i don't think they ill drop by that much. if anything. but you never know. wait and see i guess.
    we can only hope.

*dreams* MacBook

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It would probably be a good idea to look at the Intel SSD over that Samsung :)

Way faster and better controller that ensures no kind of hiccups.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah that's right, because Apple is the only place you can buy SSDs...:rolleyes:

13. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

im basing it solely on how the economy is right now, with this downturn and christmas being the most important part of the year for retailers, they will have to drop prices big time to get people shopping.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

With the possibility of hyper inflation on the horizon it may be a good idea to buy things while your money is still worth something.

15. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

well im in canada, so that wont be anytime soon for us.

16. bossxii macrumors 68000

Then in December we can all say "Don't buy that SSD drive!! The new 1TB will be out this summer!! Save your money!!" Welcome to tech pricing patterns 101.

Your making a statement that in 9 or 10 months SSD's will be 50% less... I think anyone that follows tech pricing expects these kinds of price drops. That is if you follow history of it at all.

With speed/capacity doubling every 18 months or whatever it is, this isn't that earth shattering news, it's expected.

Do 10 mins of research on the net and you will find charts showing pricing patterns, waiting to buy products in tech sector will always save you money but what's the point? No matter when you buy 10 months later you can buy that same thing cheaper. That's just how it works.

17. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

5 months on my SSD MBA and no issues and it is damn fast, I think you are crazy, it's faster than regular HDs and uses less power. I am very happy with my 1.86 MBA SSD. Funny the benchmarks when it came out everyone praised it.

18. raremage macrumors 6502a

Actually, he (or she) was predicting an unprecedented price drop three months ago, not nine months from now. Old thread.

Oh, and I must have missed it, while there was (as was, of course, completely predictable) a price drop in hardware components...SSDs certainly did not bottom out.
    Now having said that, I'm about to be in the market for a new laptop, and I'm wondering about the SSD in the Macbook - are there significant performance gains during normal use over the 5400 RPM HDD?