iPad mini Don't Believe the Hype?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by offcamber, Nov 12, 2013.

1. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

So the rumors of low iPad Mini w/Retina Display inventory is looking more like just a rumor as the hours pass.

By this time during the 5s launch the ship time had slipped to 7-10 days.

I can guess that the lack of an announcement and low to no in-store availability could keep the current shipping window shorter but I guess we'll know more by day's end.

2. kalt macrumors regular

not as many people order ipad minis as order a new iphone.

and the iphone 5s went on sale in like 60 countries the first day, including china. ipad mini retina only went on sale in 5 or 6.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

None of them were 'immediately available'

Only the 16GB and 32GB are available to ship in 1-3 business days

64GB, 128GB, and every cellular model are available to ship in 5-10 business days.

This is on launch day. Supplies definitely seemed constrained IMO.

4. predation macrumors 6502

i think by the end of tomorrow, we'll get a clearer picture.

mind you that this was a silent launch, most people probably don't know about it aside from us MacHeads. :D

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's also been a very quiet release so far; pretty much just the techies / aficionados know you can order it. We'll see what happens later in the week after the major media outlets pick up the story.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree. There definitely send to be a supply constraint. And comparing the iPad Mini or even Air to the iPhone regards demand seems just silly.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

They would have made a much bigger deal about the release if they had the supplies to back it up. The fact that they did such a quiet release speaks volumes about the availability.

Also, iPad's rarely have a supply issue on day 1. I walked into Best Buy on the day the Air was released and could choose from any model I wanted. Today it's a considerable wait for anything but the smaller black wifi models. No store in our city has a single cellular model in stock. Yet because there wasn't a mad rush to the stores on release day we had tons of people here proclaiming the Air as a failure. :rolleyes:

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My local BB store has some available but very limited quantities and models. Time will tell about overall availability I suppose, we'll see. ;)

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Except that unlike the iPhone any version or iPad any previous iteration, the rMini's launch today was completely silent and a huge surprise to everyone. So it's hard to judge Day One sales since word has hardly gotten out to anyone but us tech geeks.

I saw the post here last night about the leak of the tech note that the Mini would go on sale today and poked my nose over at the Australia online Apple Store but nothing was going on so dismissed it post as fake. Woke up this A.M. to the shock it actually did not on sale in the wee hours.

Also you have to consider that the constraint is for the entire holiday season so the fact Apple might have a two million units stockpiled still won't be enough to keep sales at a steady pace worldwide for the next six weeks. Let's get to Black Friday and see how readily available any rMini is.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I figured it was a typo. Nov 12 vs Nov 21; the 21st would have made sense and synced up with the Target leak from a few days ago.

11. Sockin macrumors newbie

FWIW when I went to pick up my retina mini, the sales rep had asked me how I heard about it because they had only gotten in a handful of them. It was the Apple Store in Oakbrook, IL.

12. offcamber thread starter macrumors 6502

offcamber

That's an interesting tidbit.
    Thanks.

13. Mosi macrumors regular

Yeah I agree. Most people don't even know it has launched and there is no signage up at any of the stores.

14. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I just hope that things remaind the way they are so I can go get mine on the 22nd.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

When I went to pick mine up at the Apple Store the person I spoke to told me they weren't even released. :eek:

16. offcamber thread starter macrumors 6502

offcamber

An Apple release so quiet that Apple didn't even know........

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wrong.

Most people have a life and therefore have no idea it is even available. And, since it is a luxury, they are waiting for holiday sales anyways.

18. iTalk macrumors member

Ditto @ Woodfield in Schaumburg, IL. They had to double check that they did indeed receive a shipment of the retina Minis