Don't Buy 2019 Gaming Laptops Yet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by maflynn, Feb 5, 2019.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From Dave 2D

I have to agree with his assessment, his arguments do make sense.

The 10xx series gaming laptops from 2018 had the perfect mixture of performance, display quality and price. The RTX series are tracking to be even more expensive, and the performance boost isn't huge in some respects. The power of the RTX cannot be fully felt on a FHD display which many gaming laptops use, and the dearth of ray traced games are another factor.

2. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I agree too, if the displays cannot match the power and features of the GPU, it is better to wait.

Glad I started small...:)

Though I cannot help but wonder what Asus model is on Dave’s table. :p

3. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    It's a 17.3"ROG ZEPHYRUS S (GX701)

Q-6

4. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I thought it might be that, given the release date. :) Looking forward to his review (and Lisa Gade too), despite Dave’s comments about waiting to buy anything with the RTX cards.

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

They will likely both conclude we should wait, but that doesn't mean we can't have have a glimpse of things to come while we wait :)

6. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Yes, go ahead and dangle the Zephyrus S in front of tech magpie’s beady eyes here. :p

And now I do not have to worry about where trackpads are.:)

7. jrichards1408 macrumors 6502

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I'm looking forward to the reviews. I'm interested in the review the Razer laptops, I am still partial to that design.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I can understand why you like the Razer. I’d prefer thinner bezels and a non-matte screen (I understand why Razer do both, esp. the matte screen), but text is better on retina etc. for me. Still, the Razers are very nice. I wish they had better QC.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I am drawn to them, the price for the configuration i want is prohibitively high. I'm happy with my Thinkpad, but I do like the razer.

11. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

Just to be safe, you should hold out for the 2025 model.

12. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Sound advice for gamer's from Dave but does it equally hold true for other software and uses of these types of laptops ?

13. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Another good point. I suppose as more are released, we’ll start to see best gaming laptops for content creators videos?

14. hajime macrumors 603

I have read complaints about failure of rtx cards. Are the mobile versions free from those issues?

15. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I think you need one of these. Heck everyone needs one just for a conversation piece :)

To heck with thin and light! ( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^ )

16. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

:eek:
    Methinks running one of those would cause a block wide blackout. Worse, I think they require MacBook Airs and Surface Laptops as a weekly meal to work properly. :p

17. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

On the plus side, it probably doubles as a space heater in the winter and a hibachi in the summer :)

18. Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

He's missing one point, the RTX are more power efficient. Since I'm tracking the GS65 now, yes, 1070 Max-Q on it from the 2018 model has the same performance as the rtx2060 in 2019 model. But at 15W lower TDP, and that's a lot for a thin & light laptop when you go from 85 to 70W and directly translates to comfort when using a laptop. When comparing the same TDP you suddenly end up with some 30% improvement in DX12 and that's decent for a new generation. At least for me that's a price I'm willing to pay.

If I had already anything over 1070 I'd skip this generation and here I agree with him. But for a new machine no way I'm buying last year tech, especially that it was the first year with increased core counts on 8th gen CPUs just because it is cheaper. Old refurb will always be cheaper than new, nothing unusual here. And we can be waiting a while for hardware capable of 4k@60 fps gaming on a laptop, which btw I find a little waste of earth's resources on 15 inch screen anyway.

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The RTX laptops just came out these past couple of weeks so I doubt any issues have been cropping - we need to give it more time.

Also, I really don't follow desktop GPU news, heck, I really don't follow laptop GPUs that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I read up on them when prior to my purchase of the windows machine that's about it

20. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

He reiterated this in his Razor review, saying if you’re going to buy a 2019 Razor, the 2060 is plenty, but the 10 card machines are still a great buy.

21. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

It's a valid point as RTX doesn't currently bring much to the table for the asking price, smart shopper would be well served by picking up a good deal on a 10 series notebook.

I really like the new 17.3" ROG Zephyrus S GX 701, however it's not an instant buy as it's priced high and it lacks the duel channel 32Gb RAM & SD card slot of my current ROG Strix GL703GS

Q-6

22. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, I had no idea that many game laptops moved on to single channel ram nor did I realize many apps were taking advantage of it.

Nice to see that Razer is still sticking with dual channel :)

23. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Two ways to look at as a single 16Gb stick allows for a cheaper route to 32Gb duel channel. Although I suspect overkill for the majority.

Q-6