Don't Buy an iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atlanticza, Jul 27, 2008.

1. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Okay.

But as Whorehay said... Really nothing new there, haha.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

Wait, those drawbacks don't apply to phones in general?

Cause, last I checked, the blackberry I wanted and some other HTC etc. smartphones I wanted were exactly the same: same upgrade fees, same costs, same network restrictions, same awful battery life...

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

too late - i already got one and am enjoying it. sorry

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Well you don't say, I guess its true AT&T is the sole carrier of the iPhone service /shock /amazed /flabbergasted

Ask the sales droid to wave the $18/36 fee 99% of the time they will.
    DUH all smart phones have a data package and service package.
    No new news here all carriers do that it. Ask T-Mo about the $99* CrackBerry or Verizon about the LG something @ $199*

This is a personal choice, for some it doesn't make sense (they are not in a 3g market or don't want the new features.

This is a semi valid point, heck lot at the forum posts about battery issues.

Show me a pda/smartphone on the market right now with more then 16 gb of storage for $299..
    Yeah the HTC or others smartphones have a micro sd card so 8 2gb cards at how much each? yeah thats cost effective and you will NEVER lose/wash them...

It may not lead in features, but it sure is kicking some serious arse in sales and loyalty.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

im sure EVERYONE in the world will listen to him

oh no wait, they sold 1,000,000 in 3 days...

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not only did I buy one, I may be buying a second one to replace my last remaining 1st generation iPhone. I love it that much! :)

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

that article is full of crap!

EVERYTHING that is said is wrong... thanks for wasting my time in reading that heap of crap!

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

He made some good points, except about the camera which is actually very good, and the battery life which is quite good for a 3G phone.

10. aneftp macrumors 601

It's just a bad article plain and simple.

Look at Verizon's smartphone data prices and compare it to what you are paying for Apple's iPhone. Very little difference.

As for the cost of the phone. I paid $300 just to sign up for a new one-year contract with Tmobile for the BB Curve last October and this didn't include data or text fees.

Every cell phone service provider charges "upgrade or activation" fees. If you are an existing customer, you can usually get it waived by calling the CS rep. This is not ATT specific.

Battery life is not that great with the iPhone....but what smartphone has great battery life...what smartphone that has the same brightness/resolution as the iPhone has great battery life. I've had a ATT Tilt and the battery was usually dead by the end of the day also so battery life is the same old story with PDA phones.

People will find fault in every product, especially high-profile products. This author has no clue what's he's writing about.

I'd say if you are a business user without access to an electrical plug (say those that travel long distances daily), stick with the blackberry because their battery life is much better but everything else on this article, I will have to disagree with.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm finding the battery life isn't too bad. I think the camera is crap though, but I have moved from a N95 which has one of the best phone cameras.

It's just another review, this time the reviewer isn't too keen. I can't see many people deciding not to get an iPhone based on his findings.

12. muldul macrumors 6502

They say this about all products when they are newly revised, as it did have every thing everyone wanted, it is automatically to be boycotted. Don't listen to them, the new iPhone is fine

13. mddharma macrumors regular

Yeah, I guess he had to play devils advocate to get a paycheck. However, it seems as thought he is missing a few things.

"I'd go as far as to say that anyone who really wanted an iPhone already has one."

No, I waited for the second revision just to see how the iphone would pan out, and it seems as though the iphone is really a contender. Also he misses the point on the price. Frankly, I could not justify the original outlay of money for the original iphone. At $199 it is priced like many other high end phones or for less. The monthly bill on my plan just did not go up much.

"The iPhone 3G is AT&T only"

So what. I was already on AT&T and I have had choices to go to Verizon and Tmobile and didn't. Sure it may be nice to choose whatever provider you can, however MANY phones are provider specific.

"The iPhone 3G's battery life is going to suck."

I guess this is subjective depending on what you do all day on your phone. I already have been in the habit of charging my current cell phone nightly like many people, so not sure if this is relevant and my current cell phone doesn't do 35% of what my iphone does.

In closing for many people the iphone brings the same ease of use that the mac computers do. Frankly, the voicemail features alone are worth the price of the phone to me and the address book and ical syncs have been a life saver.

Like many other naysayers, he just misses the point of a product that is well designed and just works right.:)

14. philgilder macrumors 68000

consider this:
    another one of his articles tells people they should buy all their music from "MusicGiants" because the 1,100 kbps wma tracks sound great
    a single song would be around 30mb... actually, i think he is doing that, which is why he complains about the iPhones 'tiny' 16gb of space - which would only hold 500 songs

i safely say we can disregard everything this 'Dan Costa' has to say about personal tech

15. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

that article has so many mistakes, especially the paragraph with the pricing. Its not 200 for new customers signing up for two year agreement, it's for OG iPhone customers that sign up for 2 year agreement. New users are 300 and 400+. plus ATT CSR usually waive the upgrade fee anyways. This is just another person who is pissed at their own phone or lined up for one and missed out or had to send the one he reviewed back

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

I have to agree with the above....I think this guy (whoever he is, may as well have been my neighbor) was told to write something to cash in on any backlash so that's what he did. The article would have been the same if it had been a WinMo or BB phone with the same petty tripe cited as reasons why to not buy whatever. If this made a magazine, he should be forced to replant as many trees as were destroyed making this toilet paper.

17. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I Only read the op post and the article, usually i read all posts but this time i will just say shut up and dont be a looser dont have one? then shut up, get real there is nothing new there.

18. TJB627 macrumors newbie

Umm apparently he hasn't done much research. Cause I know myself along with quite a few others on here still don't have one.

I didn't realize the iPhone couldn't do picture messaging though, that is a little disappointing.

19. jerryh macrumors newbie

I had the 1st gen iphone and I have the 3G. Although I preferred the casing of the old one, for the features 3G is really really good. Don't worry. Go and get one ...

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Some said the same thing about the first iPhone

Not everyone will like it, so what?

I personally LOVE IT and almost 99% of those I know with it LOVE IT

Has everything I need and then some

But, everyone has their own tastes so if someone doesnt like it, so be it